Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the little cone shaped part, to which the mirror body is attached and which fits on the mirror stem, adjustable? Can you rotate it on the stem? I don't see any set screws so you could rotate the cone My left side mirror cannot be adjusted high enough so I can have a proper rear view because the little cone shaped piece is angled slightly downward on the mirror stem and it limits adjusting the mirror upward. The mirror on my right side is fine. Anyone else have this problem? What's the fix? I can't believe it can't be adjusted.

Thanks for your help.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Is the little cone shaped part, to which the mirror body is attached and which fits on the mirror stem, adjustable? Can you rotate it on the stem? I don't see any set screws so you could rotate the cone My left side mirror cannot be adjusted high enough so I can have a proper rear view because the little cone shaped piece is angled slightly downward on the mirror stem and it limits adjusting the mirror upward. The mirror on my right side is fine. Anyone else have this problem? What's the fix? I can't believe it can't be adjusted.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like the stem may be bent. You can adjust it at the nut. Just loosen it and adjust it where you need it, then re-tighten the nut.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue, Thanks for the response but it doesn't appear the stem is bent. The cone shaped part I'm refering to is up by the mirror. I can loosen the lock nut down by the handlebar and reposition the stem just fine. It's just that I can't **** the mirror up high enough to be able to get a good rear view. My line of sight is down to the ground. Can't believe you can't rotate that piece on the stem. They should have a set screw in it. I'm planning on getting aftermarket mirrors anyway.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Blue, Thanks for the response but it doesn't appear the stem is bent. The cone shaped part I'm refering to is up by the mirror. I can loosen the lock nut down by the handlebar and reposition the stem just fine. It's just that I can't **** the mirror up high enough to be able to get a good rear view. My line of sight is down to the ground. Can't believe you can't rotate that piece on the stem. They should have a set screw in it. I'm planning on getting aftermarket mirrors anyway.

You will never be able to see with aftermarket mirrors. They vibrate really bad. You can obtain more adjustment at the mirror by adjusting at the stem nut.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you loosen the stem nut you can only swivel the stem. This does not have an effect on the up/down(vertical) positioning of the mirror. It would only have an effect on the side to side(horizontal) positioning. My problem is with the vertical adjustment. Why would aftermarket mirrors be any worse than the stock? I don't see any vibration reducing components on the stock mirrors. They are all metal just like the aftermarket mirrors.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
When you loosen the stem nut you can only swivel the stem. This does not have an effect on the up/down(vertical) positioning of the mirror. It would only have an effect on the side to side(horizontal) positioning. My problem is with the vertical adjustment. Why would aftermarket mirrors be any worse than the stock? I don't see any vibration reducing components on the stock mirrors. They are all metal just like the aftermarket mirrors.

If you can find convex aftermarket mirrors, then you might be ok. Most aftermarket mirrors field of view is diffferent than OEM, making them almost useless for safe riding.

Moving the stem forward or backward gives you more adjustment at the mirror head. If you move it forward, then you have to move the mirror head down and right to give you the same view as it was before you moved the stem. Vice versa for moving it down. You only have to move it in small adjustments to make a difference.

Also, small adjustments to the handlebars can help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried swiveling the stem but you get way more effect on the horizontal plane than on the vertical plane. When you think of it the bend in the mirror stem is almost a 90 degree bend which puts the upper part of the stem parallel to the ground, so any rotation of the stem almost entirely translates to affecting the horizontal plane. Maybe your 2005 mirrrors are different than my 2008 mirrors. Tilting the handle bars has way more effect but the position I prefer sets the mirror angle too low. There is a set of aftermarkets that have a convex shape. But I've had Kuryakyn mirrors on my last bike and did not think my safety was in jeopardy. They worked fine. When I compare the two mirrors there is no question that that little fitting between the mirror and the stem is position differently on the left mirror versus the right. Maybe I can get a warranty replacement.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I've tried swiveling the stem but you get way more effect on the horizontal plane than on the vertical plane. When you think of it the bend in the mirror stem is almost a 90 degree bend which puts the upper part of the stem parallel to the ground, so any rotation of the stem almost entirely translates to affecting the horizontal plane. Maybe your 2005 mirrrors are different than my 2008 mirrors. Tilting the handle bars has way more effect but the position I prefer sets the mirror angle too low. There is a set of aftermarkets that have a convex shape. But I've had Kuryakyn mirrors on my last bike and did not think my safety was in jeopardy. They worked fine. When I compare the two mirrors there is no question that that little fitting between the mirror and the stem is position differently on the left mirror versus the right. Maybe I can get a warranty replacement.

Yes, could be something wrong with it. Talk to the dealer and see what he says. You could also try adjusting the mount around the bars, but that will also affect the lever position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts