Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter I'd like to replace the stock rubber, I really like the White walls, and I think they would really look good on my bike, I
don't know squat about the different tire brands, Any body got any suggestions ?

thank you

Dave

·
Registered
302 Posts
tires

Daniel,
I too am planning on a new set of tires this winter, hopefully at my 7500 mile service. Usually the front tire will last through 2 rear tires. but I plan on changeing both at the same time. The stock tires that usually come on the 1500 Kawa's are bridgestone's (unaffectionatley known as "stones"). After much online reasearch and talking to others who have gone with these tires I have decided to go with the Metzler ME880 Marithon tires with the wide whitewalls. Metzler makes ONLY motorcycle tires and has a very good rep. in the industry. Also they are very reasonable IF you buy them online. (the dealer 's have an almost 50% mark-up on tires! Claim thats so they can "warranty" them-Bull S...!) Check them out for reveiws at classiccruiser.com. In my opinion they are the best tire for the money/looks on these bikes.
Lonestar

·
Registered
710 Posts
I to am planning on replacing my blackwall Bridgestones with whitewalls this winter. I decided to go whitewall after seeing another classic with a set of them on. (I believe they were Dunlops) It's amazing how different and much improved (in my opinion) the bike looks with the whitewalls along with the full size saddlebags.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I'd like to see a 1500 with white walls, any idea where a pic is or will ya'll post when your whitewalls are on?

thanks

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

metzlers - can't go wrong :wink:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Darn, There was a nice 1500 Classic for sale on ebay a week ago all decked out and sporting a couple of whitewalls. It's no longer there. Chec k out the pics in this article which shows a fat cruiser similar in looks to the Vulcan with whitewalls which should give you some idea of what to expect in the way of looks. Of course the model in the saddle doesn't detract from the photo either.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/cruiser98.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought Dunlop Cruisemax tires for my '03 1500 Classic. I got 11k miles off the original Bridgestones. Although I bought them for the looks, handling is much, much better. I wish I hadn't waited so long to make the change.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well, I'll be the lone voice of semi-dissent. I say "semi" because I have no experience with any other tire than the OEM Bridgestone Excedra. I got 13K on my front and rear original tires - could have pushed them farther but, hey, this is a motorcycle, tires are too important to mess around. I liked the original tires in dry, wet, twisties to the point of scraping the boards, they never let me down. I now have about 9K on my second set of Bridgees and no complaints. And the price is reasonable...they are smooth so tell me again why I should change? I would like to consider whitewalls, too, but my better half talked me out of it the first tire change.

T-man

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T-Man,

awesome bike!

Dave

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dickwol, that article is kinda funny... giving "technical" advice on how to pick up women on your bike. Like the look of that whitewall... strange they only put it on the front.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeh, I thought that rear tired looked a little wierd to but I think there is a whitewall on the back. Strange optical experience!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts