Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! it's been a while since i posted anything or even responded to any posts. truth be told i have been doing a good amount of riding! so much so that i think my clutch is having problems. for those that have gone thru clutch problems, what i am experiencing is the following. in the morning or anytime of day when the bike is cold and in gear, i squeeze the clutch and hit the starter and i can feel the bike lightly surging forward like the clutch is still grabbing a bit. this just started a couple weeks ago so i am thinking its the clutch spring that seems to be a design flaw with the 1500's. the bike has 28k miles and i have read that this about the time they begin to fail.
i am getting ready to dig into this project hopefully doing it myself. in some research, i found the better spring is the one used in the mean streak (part no. 92145)
again, anyone who has done this project, what other parts did you replace? im thinking if im going in, i may as well change the clutch plates also. anything else that should be replaced? springs?

thanks in advance
frank

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
hey everyone! it's been a while since i posted anything or even responded to any posts. truth be told i have been doing a good amount of riding! so much so that i think my clutch is having problems. for those that have gone thru clutch problems, what i am experiencing is the following. in the morning or anytime of day when the bike is cold and in gear, i squeeze the clutch and hit the starter and i can feel the bike lightly surging forward like the clutch is still grabbing a bit. this just started a couple weeks ago so i am thinking its the clutch spring that seems to be a design flaw with the 1500's. the bike has 28k miles and i have read that this about the time they begin to fail.
i am getting ready to dig into this project hopefully doing it myself. in some research, i found the better spring is the one used in the mean streak (part no. 92145)
again, anyone who has done this project, what other parts did you replace? im thinking if im going in, i may as well change the clutch plates also. anything else that should be replaced? springs?

thanks in advance
frank

That's normal. Mine has been doing it from day one. I now have 32,000 on it. It's just the plates sticking. Start it in neutral, or work the clutch lever a few times before starting to loosen them.

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
skiman i have that page bookmarked. my question was more along the lines of what other parts would/should i get. like what kind of clutch plates were best, if ui should get new springs also. etc etc

bluestringer i know they have a tendancy of sticking. i have been rocking back and forth from day one also. the reason i start her in gear is because i have very loud pipes and at 6:15 in the morning i try to be as courtious to my neighbors as possible. so i rock it back and forth, start her in gear and slowly roll away. the "new" problem is that even with the rocking back and forth, the clutch is still slightly grabbing

·
Registered
141 Posts
It may just be the weather is cooling down even in the sunshine state causing more grab. The spring may not be a bad idea some do start to slip. I think that has more to do with city or highway riding the more you hold the clutch in the sooner the spring will go IMO, but I it won't help the grabbing .

·
Registered
94 Posts

thanks in advance
frank
I changed my clutch spring at about 28,000, but that was because of slipping. Weak spring as far as I know will not cause that lurch when you start in gear. Are you using different oil?

If it is not slipping I would not touch it. If it is slipping there is still a good chance that it is the spring only and the clutch plates are still good and do not need replacing, however you will only know for sure after you tear into it.

If you are going to do it, don't forget to get the gasket for the side cover, and you may want to consider a set of washers "Judge's Washers" from Judge on the VROC board, those will go a long way in extending the life of the clutch.

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im using the same oil as from the beginning. Royal Purple 10w-40.
im also thinking maybe the master cyinder or slave might be going or air in the line. im taking it to a mechanic wednesday to have him look at it

·
Registered
94 Posts
im also thinking maybe the master cyinder or slave might be going or air in the line. im taking it to a mechanic wednesday to have him look at it
This could be a result of old fluid as well.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Frank,
I think what you are experiencing is "normal". My 1500 did it for years. I got 55,000 miles out of the first set of clutch plates. When I replaced mine, I only did the clutch friction pads and not the metal plates. They still measured within specs. My understanding of the lurching is that it's due to cold oil between the friction and pressure plates grabbing. I never tried the spring upgrade though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
clutch spring replacement

well, 2003 and earlier nomads had a one piece spring holder, and eventually, the spring holder grinds off the tabs on the spring itself, decreasing the "grab" feel thus creating a slippage, on 2004 and later they added an intermediate ring to the spring holder to alleviate that problem, it works on the same principle of the "judge's washers mod listed on the wwwgadget/jq.fixit page, and not only dodes that little ring make the spring last longer, it adds additional pressure to the clutch providing an earlier engagement, you can look up the schematics on Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories – BikeBandit.com, i have done it to my 2003 nomad 1500 as well as two other friends bikes.

As for what other parts?? you will need a clutch cover gasket, that's about it, and you do not need to drain the oil, it can be done while on the sidestand, an impact wrench electric or air is a must!! to remove the holder nut. and read the instructions carefully, some people mention wedging a penny between the gears to hold them from rotating, i would never do that!!
I hope this helps.

Jesus

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are going to do it, don't forget to get the gasket for the side cover, and you may want to consider a set of washers "Judge's Washers" from Judge on the VROC board, those will go a long way in extending the life of the clutch.
YES, by all means get Judge's Washers. They will extend the life of your clutch spring almost indefinitely. Trust me on this, you'll never have to install another clutch spring.

Quinton

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts

Frank, have you changed the clutch fluid since you've had it? I just changed mine a few months ago and noticed a much better feel to the clutch, and less grabbing when cold.

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the replies guys. to answer, yes i have changed the clutch fluid. i changed all 3 resevoirs with synthetic brake fluid. the only thing i can think of is maybe air in the line but that would've showed up earlier. or the master cylinder and/or slave is going bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch Spring

So my neighbor made me an offer I couldn't refuse on his 2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500. Has a slipping clutch. I went on line and found how easy this clutch is to work on, even having to remove the frame rail to get to that one 8mm bolt. Had it all apart in about 10 minutes, but could not budge the 27mm nut with my new Husky 1/2" impact gun. Breaker bar just spins the plate. So I went to the diesel shop to borrow a 3/4" impact, but all thiers had massive air connection and would fit my hose. I borrowed his Matco 1/2", he said it wouldn't be any different than my Husky. Night and day difference, came off like butter. After watching some tube tube I gathered that the issue was most likely the outer spring, and hopefully not the plates also. It was bad enough that I canceled the 20 mile ride I had planned and barely made it home, it would slip under any tension. I ordered a Barnett replacement spring ($16), and a set of fiber plates ($60) I saw the 04 upgrade parts and considered doing it and would if I was going to keep it, but at $80 and $50 for the 2 small parts, I didn't find it necessary for the immediate goal.
So I have 2 options, 1 is replace the spring and put it back together and hope it works, as the plates mic'ed out @3.35mm, well within spec. Or go ahead and through the new plates in even though they may not be needed. What say you with experience
I think the wear in the spring picutered is the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, what am I doing wrong. I pulled the clutch apart, laid the parts down. Ordered a Barnett spring. It came in today and when I assemble everything back the way it came off, the holder sits a 1/4" too far out. It's not an issue with the bellvue washers, as I took them out and assembled without them and the same clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
That looks like a friction disk on the outside, should be a steel plate, so somethings in backwards or missing. mabye # 13187A in the parts diagram? And I believe either the 1st or last plate goes in offset? see Gadgets Vulcan website for info.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b268ef8700223e47907e3/clutch

it's worn but I didn't think it was all that worn, I would use a Judges Washer or the newer parts if you are keeping it.

If you still have issues, clean out the clutch master cylinder, there's a really tiny return hole that can plug up and cause the clutch lever to not release fully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts