Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me about your bike!

Just did a little research on this seemingly defunct bike.

Wonder why they stopped it.

Any problems?

Any great strengths that will be missed other than those classic looks?

How was it on the freeway...80mph +?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 99 1500 Drifter with 41,000 miles. I had a Goldwing prior to this bike. I enjoy riding the Drifter must more then the Goldwing. Like someone said, riding a Goldwing is about as interesting as "white bread".
When someone ask me what year model I have, I have to reply with "what part". I have made some really long rides with the ability to carry more luggage than I could with the Goldwing. I am going to put it in the shop on Wednesday because of a noise in the lower right front of the engine that seems to be getting louder. I'm not sure if it is the cam chain or something to do with the transmission. Finding a good shop is difficult.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Tell me about your bike!

Just did a little research on this seemingly defunct bike.

Wonder why they stopped it.

Any problems?

Any great strengths that will be missed other than those classic looks?

How was it on the freeway...80mph +?

Thanks!
I don't own a drifter but I do have a recollection to share with you. last year on our annual run to our forum rally in Red Lodge, Montana, Silvereagle (ronnie) on his 1500 drifter took off with me and 3 others on a high speed run across Montana on I-90. I ride the V2k, there were 2 other V2k's and 1 1500 meanstreak plus ronnie

ronnies 1500 drifter ran great and had no problems with prolonged runs at 80+, we ran like that for probably 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Like Spok (Mr Dave :mrgreen:) said and recollect, we were less in the 80's as a matter of fact more towards the other end of the scale for 2-3 hours :shock:

I wasn't 1st in the heat, but the 2litre bikes couldn't shake me off either..............forget to catch up with ISpeed's Meanstreak.......he was gone like a fart in the desert :lol: That was to this date the hardest I've ever run my baby............and it never complained. It PREFERRS it above 80+............so don't let anyone tell you a 1500Fuelie is sloooo by other means.

I'm already looking forward to the 2008 ride........

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
so don't let anyone tell you a 1500Fuelie is sloooo by other means.
your grinnin teeth smile in your avatar is what i saw in my mirror as you towed the rope with the rest of us

;)

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
Tell me about your bike!

I don't own a 1500 Drifter, but a good bud of mine has the black '02 1500 Drifter. I noticed that it has less ground clearance than my 1500 Classic FI especially while doing an oil and filter change on it (he has a bad back).

He doesn't really like the floating rear fender nor the fact that the fenders are plastic. However, he loves the bike, and is very much into the Indians rather than the Harleys.

He did say that if he'd rather get a new 1500 Classic than a new 1500 Drifter if they were still available. Kawasaki dropped the 800/1500 Drifters due to slow sales. It would be interesting if they came out with a 900 Drifter though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts