Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm right about to reach the 1500 mile mark on my 2004 Vulcan Classic. (E7)

Is their anything in particular I should request the technician check outside of the typical scheduled service checks mentioned in the owners manual? The bike is extremely responsive and appears to be running without problems. I've noticed the clicking noise from the valves mentioned in the forum. And, sometimes a rattelling noise when decelerating as I approach stop lights. The clicking noise is not as apparent when 93 Octane fuel is used. As for the rattelling, I believe it's from the breaks, the rear in particular. The breaks work without problems otherwise.

I check for any leaks or loose hardware on the bike before every ride. No visible problems found as of yet.

Any input about things to look for would be much appreciated. This is not my first bike but it is my first cruiser.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have him take the slop out of the throttle cable. All the new bikes I sat on recently had a rediculous amount of play in the throttle. When asked, a technician told me that this was so the cable could "stretch", which makes no sense because if the cable were to stretch it would make the problem worse.

*Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback!

I do have a little more than 1/4'' of slack, but thats about average right?

I'm a big fan of the forum and have learned from many of yua' alls experience. My 600 mile service was a bust. A $170.00 oil change. I could of did it myself and saved a lot of money. But, this is my first new bike and I've been trying to do things by the book. Like anything else I own I try to keep it like new or better if possible.

As I approach my 1500 mile mark everything seems to be ok. I have no complaints and any issues that have caught my attention have been mentioned in this forum. (valves and breaks)

According to my owner's manual, this next scheduled service mentions checking the valves for possible adjustment. Is this necessary? I've read elsewhere, here even, different. Has anyone with a 1500 classic needed their valves adjusted? Everything on my bike is stock. And I am comfortable checking /changing my own fluids. Should I spend money on the 1500 mile service or change my own oil and by accessories?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts