Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1500 Nomad, coming off of a ZX7R.
The Nomad has Cobra Duals on it, they sound OK but I am looking for LOUD. Like **** people off loud, there doesn't look like there are any baffles in the muffler section (looking into them on the bike), are there any restrictions in the header pipes that can be removed? or are there baffles in the mufflers I can't see?

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't know where you are from, but you might want to check with the laws in your area for decibal allowment. You could end up having the bike picked up if they are too loud, at least, that's the way it is here. Nice Nad by the way ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a problem here :D

Welcome to the forum. Don't know where you are from, but you might want to check with the laws in your area for decibal allowment. You could end up having the bike picked up if they are too loud, at least, that's the way it is here. Nice Nad by the way ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i take that back, there are baffles in the mufflers. the PO told me there were none and i never investigated it much, just looked back in there and didnt see anything, but today i stuck a broom handle back in there and what do ya know it hit something less than a foot in. so i got the flashlight and took a look, sure enuff they are baffled big time, and it looks like they are welded in. has anyone had these things apart? how hard are they to open up?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nice looking Nomad, I just sold mine, hated to do it, but it was time to let it go, It was a great bike. Can you just pull the mufflers off and put on some straight pipes? If so I would think that would be the easy route. But if you do that you might have to adjust the jets/change the jets on your carb.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
me and easy dont mix, if it isnt difficult i dont do it, besides i like the look of the mufflers. thanks for the comments on the bike, i think she is lovely, added a Mustang seat and lost the windshield since the pic was taken.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you do this expect to loose a lot of grunt..... You better have a cobra, tfi , or PC III on there, unless that bike is carbed, and then it will need jetting work done. It seems to be a early 1500 99 I think. SO it could be carbed or injected and i can't tell.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is carbbed, but looking at the plugs i don't think it will hurt it, it looks to be running on the rich side as it is. perhaps it was jetted when the Cobras were installed?

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah it might be done right.. jetted that is. I wouldn't know the drilling numbers, as stock, but a good parts guy could list the jet numbers easy. Then a look see will tell you one way or another for sure.

You can pull the baffels, but still need something to retain some back pressure, ujnless the plan is to ride at WOT all the time.. That might not be legal, or practical, but I don't judge.

·
Super Trucker
381 Posts
I have the same bike!

My bike has Vance & Hines Bagger Duals Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems, and they sound great.

When I got the bike, the V&H pipes had no baffles. They were nice and loud, but because I live in an apartment, I thought I'd purchase and install the baffles.

I first thought it was too quiet (still loud, but not loud enough), but after a few days of riding, they seemed to get a bit louder. Nearly perfect. I'm thinking it's because the exhaust/carbon coats the baffle insulation and allows more air and sound to travel straight out of the pipes.

There was a noticable increase in torque when I installed the baffles. That was a nice advantage/trade-off to the louder exhaust.

I then had the carb rejetted and dynoed. This made a huge difference in all-around performance. I'm pretty sure the Nomad is now running as well as one could expect from a '99. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeap they could be twins, i like your breather too, i will probably be doing some sort of intake mod also as i dont care for the two factory covers.

I have the same bike!

My bike has Vance & Hines Bagger Duals Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems, and they sound great.

When I got the bike, the V&H pipes had no baffles. They were nice and loud, but because I live in an apartment, I thought I'd purchase and install the baffles.

I first thought it was too quiet (still loud, but not loud enough), but after a few days of riding, they seemed to get a bit louder. Nearly perfect. I'm thinking it's because the exhaust/carbon coats the baffle insulation and allows more air and sound to travel straight out of the pipes.

There was a noticable increase in torque when I installed the baffles. That was a nice advantage/trade-off to the louder exhaust.

I then had the carb rejetted and dynoed. This made a huge difference in all-around performance. I'm pretty sure the Nomad is now running as well as one could expect from a '99. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cobra doesn't want these baffles removed! they are welded front and back, and i am betting they are welded the entire length. i think i will find a different set to put on it since removing these would mean it is permanent with no way to put them back should i want to. perhaps i can locate a set of the V&H's, they should take the same diameter header pipe shouldn't they?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know if they do or not, but harley mufflers fir on V&H bagger head pipes.. I would guess they fit, so long as they are long enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts