Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming to the experts again for information. Last year you folks saved me probably $1500 on a POG problem with your experience and willingness to share information. I ride a 99 Nomad and with the stock pipes (V&H were too loud for me) I cannot handle the engine noise. It does smoothe out as I accelerate and cruise. Been to two dealers and they back up what I have read on the forums that the 99 Nomad is probably the noisiest V2 on the road. I also have a power issue that I want better. The noise and the handling is getting to me as I used to drive Hondas. But maybe it is the "wanna new one" bug. Reading today I note that there are those with Nomad 1600's that also have engine noise issues. Sat on a Goldwing today and it don't do nothing for me(had one before). Drove the Stratoliner and it don't get no better than that. But for the price the Nomad seems to be the bargain.

Now for my question. Will some of you Nomad experts share with me what difference I can expect if I go for a new Nomad? Will the engine noise still be there, is the handling better, and what difference will I notice in the power? And are there other issues I should be aware of? I am wondering if moving up to the 1600 Nomad is really moving up or just spending more money and not going anywhere. My '99 only has 15K miles on it and like new. Thanks in advance. Non

·
Registered
839 Posts
The 1600 has the same motor just a longer stroke. So it will be the same in noise. A bigger gas tank and they suppose to drive better in slow speed. ( parking lot) I'd keep the '99 unless you want a different model bike. But it is Christmas time right, :) . Good Luck in your choice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got an 06 Nomad that has been broken in right and I am probably getting used to the bike and all its sounds, none of them to loud. I only put on a Cobra light bar and a K&N air filter, with engine oil, using Amsoil 10W-40 and their filter for 5K oil changes. Good mileage and a strong bike, I would buy another for the most bike for the buck. I do like the Stratoliner engine and the new Raider, for air cooled a good engine. Choose and ride, never look back, you will always run into something.

·
Shifted into first gear
131 Posts
Not sure if I can help answer your questions since my only experience with Nomad is my newly purchased 2008.
With just over 1,200 miles on it, I have not had any pinging, or excessive vibrations, valve noise, or what I would class as "strange noises," except kind of a surging-roaring sound that seems to be air related and that has not been noticeable enough to really bother me. I've read numerous comments about all of these but maybe I'm just lucky so far. Then again, I sold a Harley to buy the Nomad. The Harley had all of the above issues and many others.
The Nomad has more than enough power.....at least for me. In fact, I had planned to do all the air-fuel performance mods but now plan to ride it like it is for awhile. Only performance add-on so far is V&H baggers which were installed first week.
Started out at 36MPG on first tank and on each tank mileage has increased slightly. Has averaged 40 & 42 on last two tanks. Almost all my riding is hills and plenty of curves. Lots of down shifting to keep the revs up. Plus I'm into the habit of not moving any bike until completely warmed up.
The only negative comment, and its a personal one, is getting use to the extra 130lbs in weight versus the Harley DWG.
The Nomad rolls through the corners well. Very stable, stays planted where you put it. Reacts well when you power out of a curve.
Much more comfortable ride.
So far, happy with my purchase

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 99 with 110,000 miles. The noise is probably lifters and nothing to worry about. I personally enjoy it. Let's me know the old girl still loves me. See full story of my bike elsewhere on this site. Stan Huffman

·
Ride it! 100% Poser
234 Posts
The low speed noise is lifters. At idle speeds the oil pressure is adequate for lubrication, but not enough to keep the lifters "stretched out". It won't hurt anything, and it's normal. Very good ride, smooth, handles well low speeds, and it's just a real good looking scooter to boot. Mine is an 08, and I love it. Good luck with your choice..

·
Master Doityourselfer
971 Posts
The only significant difference in the newer bike is going to be the fuel injection. The larger gas tank is nice but not worth the 7-8 grand more for a new bike. Your '99 is a great bike....I'd keep it unless you just have to have a new one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What color is your 99? I love the green on green. 3800 miles on my 08 so far and getting use to the motor clattering. I love it more and more everyday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '99 (Green on Green) makes a little lifter noise at idle as well and know of another bike idential to mine.. same color (therefor same year) that has the same issue.
I would say that the power is a little on the short side with mine as well but I'm getting older now and it isn't as important as it used to be. I am more interested in a comfortable casual ride and it does all of that for both me and the Mrs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts