Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now I have a question or concern about the top end on these bikes on the 1500 classis it feels like the lower gears go on forever bit 5th seems to die off. I felt the need to open up the other day and was a little dissapointed at the top speed all out on flat ground I worked it up to 110 I do have a windshield on the bike and I know that adds drag, Years ago I rode a Yamaha full dress 750 that would top at about 135.

Am I running too lean or is this about the max on these bikes. I understand that 110 is way over any legal speed but what the heck.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
If your is like the 1600 and the nomad- you have 2 overdrives. It'll go faster in 4th. Top speed for my 1600 is supposed to be 115.

·
Registered
837 Posts
cboutfit said:
Ok now I have a question or concern about the top end on these bikes on the 1500 classis it feels like the lower gears go on forever bit 5th seems to die off. I felt the need to open up the other day and was a little dissapointed at the top speed all out on flat ground I worked it up to 110 I do have a windshield on the bike and I know that adds drag, Years ago I rode a Yamaha full dress 750 that would top at about 135.

Am I running too lean or is this about the max on these bikes. I understand that 110 is way over any legal speed but what the heck.

bout all i can get too...fully dressed bike..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've gotten 175kph or 115mph out of my '96 classic on a decent straight stretch with pipes and the big sucker air kit, I think that the gearing is a bit different seeing as how it's only a 4 speed, the rev limiter didn't kick in at all and the bike was very stable

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I have a favorite streach of back county road that is straight, mostly empty and winds up with a large steep hill to kill mph's where I go for my speed runs. I have made it to 95 or so in 4th and upon shifting to 5th was hitting 100. By this time I was starting the uphill climb so my speed was falling off. I'd say if 110 is the max, I was almost there. Beyond that I know I have a spedo that miscalculates by about 10% so I don't truley know where I was.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have hit 115 a couple of times. It felt like I had a bit more but I didn't push it any further. I image 120 would be about it. What was amazing is how fast it actually got to 100. I know these aren't the fastest bikes out there but it's fastest one I've ever had.

·
37,387 Posts
you got that right rob, it is quite quick up to 100 when you let the gears fully go.

·
Registered
837 Posts
yes...will get there pretty quick 8)

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, we get so used to riding normal shifting that if you use all of a gear without redlining, then look at the speedometer just before you hit 4th you're amazed, i've been higher than my speedo reads (a measly 85) but it goes faster than that I can assure you because I have a good amount of RPM's left in 5th, i think my top speed is 115 also but would never know it unless I put on a gps unit...maybe a bike speedo that goes past 100mph :lol:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yup-115 is about it

the sport bike guys are laughing at us :lol: :lol:

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
I have an 800A with a ThunderKit. I can't push her past 118mph. I changed the front gearing to an 18-tooth and actually lost 3mph on top-end (but the rpms are lower for cruising highway :) )

My brother has a Buell and his top is only 135 so I didn't feel so bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can easily get to 115, then it creeps up to about 120 or 125, my eyes are watering so i can't be too sure

·
Registered
283 Posts
Slicks said:
I have an 800A with a ThunderKit. I can't push her past 118mph. I changed the front gearing to an 18-tooth and actually lost 3mph on top-end (but the rpms are lower for cruising highway :) )

My brother has a Buell and his top is only 135 so I didn't feel so bad.
I agree with Slicks, My 800B does 115 flat out .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't the manufactures do this to the bikes on purpose? I'm guessing it has something to do with the how it is geared and rev limited? I'm no mechanic but it seems like it should be possible to get more top end on these bikes.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This seems to me a statistic that is almost worthless. Who in their right mind wants to come close to (less surpass) the century mark on their speedo? Particulaly doing so on public roads...do you guys have a death wish? At 100 mph, you are covering 146+ feet every second. Every SECOND! Pace off 146 feet and just see how long a distance that actually is. Not that you will be any more alive if you crash and burn at 70, but the likelihood of you reacting to a situation IN TIME is so much less when you are covering that much turf so quickly. And the stoppers on the VN1500 are less than great. Should something come into your path or require any quick manuveuring, that single disc ain't likely gonna do it so it's good night Irene.
Please guys, for your family if not for yourself, ride sensibly and do the top speed tests at the local strip under more controlled conditions. Thirty years ago, I went down at about 30 mph (44 feet per second) on my old BSA after contact with a large dog, it was not pretty and my passenger and I were fortunate enough to limp away. No cars were coming in the other lane, thank goodness. BTW, that also made me a believer in helmets - mine had a chunk busted out about the size of a quarter - ride without a helmet? I don't think so.

T-man

·
37,387 Posts
good advice T-man. It is not my normal routine to exceede the century mark however there was a question in my mind to just how fast my bike would go. I know now and haven't made that speed run since.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
advice

tman
thank you for your concern for our wellbeing, but i am not going to b/s you and say i will slow down. i have topped my nomad out around 118 and frequently break 100. in fact, i rode consistently over 100 for about 45 minutes straight, with my trailer behind me, and all with a penut shell helmet. would do it without a helmet if MA allowed it. to each their own i guess. but i do sincerely appreciate your concern for us and our families, consider it taken under advisement. come to think of it, i must appologize. i end a lot of my posts with "ride safe" but i am sure in a lot of your eyes, i do not. i appologize for contradicting myself.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hey guys, I did not mean to climb up too high on the soap box on the >100 mph stuff. After all, if safety is absolutely top priority, I wouldn't ride a cycle. Everyone takes risks they feel comfortable taking. It's just that biking is a hazard in itself and it seems to me that we have little reaction time as it is with what the public dishes out to us.
It is interesting to hear what these machines can do, and ispeed77, you must have that Nomad tuned well to truck on >100 with a trailer. Did you dyno that puppy to get things just right? Is ignition stock too?

T-man

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
tman

tman
i have not had the bike dyno tuned yet, but i did modify the power commander program myself to get a little more go. the only other power mods are the exhaust and the intake. i have not done an ignition yet but i am looking for one to do over the winter. haven't found too many other performance accessories other than what i have already done.

btw, no prob about standing on your soapbox, its your right. and besides that, you didn't call anyone out, you just told us your opinion, to which i replied mine. that's what the forum is for, so please don't hold back your opinion to save face, just present it properly like you already did.

david

1 - 20 of 33 Posts