Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
should be a must read for all those kids who buy a big rocket for their first bike and say its not the bike its the maturity of the rider....

·
Registered
458 Posts
Pretty horrific crash. Sad the young man didn't make it.

I wonder what the investigation will show. Perhaps, Analee "I didn't see the motorcycle" Chambless, pulled out right in front of him.

An MSF course might have saved his life.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
at the speeds he had to of hit her, he probably never saw her coming. Doing headchecks might have saved his life, and experience would have taught him to predict people's actions... like pulling out in front of a bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm curious exactly what happened. Anyone know if he was wearing gear (besides the helmet)? What happened to him? Did he go sliding? Or did he just collide with the car and not go flying? From the pictures that looks like a residential neighborhood so I'm sure the speed limit couldn't have been that fast, but from the damage it looks like he was moving at a pretty good clip, perhaps over the speed limit, "opening up" his new 600cc supersport. She probably didn't see him and pulled out in front of him and he panicked and tried to swerve the wrong direction, or had a serious case of target fixation and plowed right into her. Either way proper training is important. He barely should have had a car license, and certainly not a motorcycle one. Practice your MSF maneuvers, don't get a 600cc supersport as a first bike, and wear all your gear. Ride safe, guys. ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time).

·
Registered
49 Posts
RE: sad

Hey...

After seeing this, im glad i was limited to get a Ninja500, I just turned 16 and got my first bike, a ninja 500... i always wanted to get a cbr600 to.. i guess ill be on this bike for awhile till i get to it before moving on a big bike :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looking just the pictures, I say that, driver was living its driway. It took a look on both sides, the road was empty and the bullet comes 100mph+.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sad for all involved, it is clearly a busy street Slow writen in big yellow paint across the road and what looks like many driveways or entrances to the road. Yeah I feel sympathy for the kid but mainly due to his age, no 16 year old should have access to a bike of that nature and his parents probably thought 600 cc's was a small bike. :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
Truely a sad day for everyone. :cry:

It appears that the car pulled out in front of the motorcycle. What strikes me is the lack of skid marks from the motorcycle, but we may not have the best view from these photos.

From the amount of damage to the car it also appears as though the bike was moving very fast. But we should wait for the experts to present their findings, before passing judgement.

IMHO, I don't think the size of the bike had anything to do with the outcome of this accident. If we had the same scenario: a car pulling out in front of a very fast 250CC bike we probably would see the same outcome. The car may have not been as damaged as this one, but by all means it would've been a very serious accident also. IMHO of course.

Please everyone don't ever EVER think that because you own a 250CC or 500CC bike you are safer than the guy with the 600, 750 or 1000CC bike!!!! We're all at risk when we ride any size motorcycle! It is our responsibility to learn ways to minimize this risk.

I'll stop right here, I can't continue, good night eveyone and stay safe.

Again this is a vary sad day for eveyone. :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow, after seeing that I'm scared that I bought a bike.

I wanted a 600 but my friend kept telling me go with a 250 to start with.

I just bought a 250 and will be even more careful now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
lol, the really sad part is it's not a 600 it's a big ol 16 KILLER GRAND

Well, it's a good thing he was wearing the sneakers, mesh gloves and helmet, otherwise he really woulda been hurt when the bike rolled over him on his 75MPH stoppie

·
Registered
68 Posts
That really hits home, me being 16 and owning a zx6r. That just reminds me just how big the danger can be on one of these things and to use my head when riding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you look in the 15th pic down there appears to be a faint skid mark parrallel to the lane markings. Also if you red the text at the bottom the rider was not thrown down the road
was thrown onto the hood of the car, where paramedics worked feverishly
which means ne must have taken the full force of the impact on his body, is it possible he was endoing (stoppying) as he went into the side of the car? although saying that if you look at the car the initial impact seems to have been on the front of the drivers door, how did the bike end up in the position its in?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Personally I am not shocked at all, a young teen and an old woman collide.

2 ignorant shouldnt be on the road drivers IMO

Read down further and the article states another crash between a young teen and an older person

at 16 you shouldnt even be able to get a license, hell I didnt get mine till 18, and that was just my drivers license, a bike license shouldnt be had until you go a certain amount of time without a single traffic violation and should only be after your initial probationary period.

As for old people a new drivers test should be emitted every 5 years after age 55 and after 80 your license should be revoked.

Sorry if I sound really negative but they are ruining it for the rest of us, when I first got my license my insurance was just $35 a month for plpd on my 84 sports car in 98, now its over $125 for plpd on the same car.
Thank god I turn 25 next year, insurance drop woot.

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Actually----old people should be retested every 3 to 6 MONTHS----as they decline rather quickly when the sences go------and its not like they don't have the time being retired and all.

It would probably become a nice social event for them as they always want to shoot the breaze with you---if you give 'em half an ear.

The 92yo man that hit me last summer in my truck is a prime example-----completely unpredictable.

And as I get older---I become more convinced the teen driver shouldn't get a license to operate ANY vehicle until age 18----we don't let 'em vote till then----we don't let em drink till 21-----why should we let them control a deadly weapon at 16??

Again---my smashed up bike that was PARKED----was done in by a teen driver.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
you gotta remember if you start them at 18 they will be a little more immature, but they will also have NO driving experience at that point. In texas they have huge restrictions on drivers under 18 (no passengers for the first 6 months unless the passenger is over 21) along with many many other restrictions. I've noticed here that the winter before last we didn't have a good freeze, and this year when the roads were iced over there were soooooo many kiddie drivers who had never dealt with ice/snow before and were making mistakes.

Nothing beats experience, and they have to get it somewhere.

·
Registered
80 Posts
OmahaRider said:
Actually----old people should be retested every 3 to 6 MONTHS----as they decline rather quickly when the sences go------and its not like they don't have the time being retired and all.

It would probably become a nice social event for them as they always want to shoot the breaze with you---if you give 'em half an ear.

The 92yo man that hit me last summer in my truck is a prime example-----completely unpredictable.

And as I get older---I become more convinced the teen driver shouldn't get a license to operate ANY vehicle until age 18----we don't let 'em vote till then----we don't let em drink till 21-----why should we let them control a deadly weapon at 16??

Again---my smashed up bike that was PARKED----was done in by a teen driver.

AMEN BROTHER

Let me tell you bout the time an 80 yr old hit me.
I was driving my rx7 just got done washing it and in the right hand lane looking ahead and thinkiing to myself ( no radio so all I hear is brap brap brap from exhaust) and next thing you know I feel BUMP from the driver side.
I look over and this guy tried to merge over or just wasnt paying attention and litterally pushed my car into the curb.
He hit me dead on my side, it wasnt that busy of a street (4 lanes with turn lane) and there where no intersections and no heavy traffic so no distractions or anything.

He just lightly merged. I looked at him like he was retarded and we pulled over, I just got out and shook my head when I could tell how old he was.
Instead of yelling or anything I just said "yep its a shame, just got it painted becuase I just did a ton of body work and rust repair, and you caught me on the way back from a wash".

He then offered me cash and said I should claim it, I said "guy they havent made this car since 85 where do you think they are gonna find the parts to fix it?"
I then said " You know what just forget about it all together, Have a good day sir"

and we both left, I knew leaving it at that the guilt would probably eat him up for a little bit, and because there was no police report that meant he had to come out of pocket to fix his brand new car, also I only had PLPD but I never told him that.

Between that and several other close calls (I learned to litterally search for old people on the road now which no one should have to do considering there are more important things to worry about when driving) is why I have a huge discust for older drivers.

As for younger drivers I am part of the www.rx7club.com and known as somewhat of a ignition guru so my AIM is always blowing up with questions and conversations when its on.
And when I talk to some of the younger drivers it is very obvious they are younger drivers.
Last guy I talked to was talking about how bad his life sucks ( you know suicidal teenage years 16-17) and was talking about smashing his car.
Not even thinking or caring about the lives of others.

Dont worry I talked him down after telling how I spent all of 97 ( again even I was immature at 17) in jail, made his life sound mightly peachy then.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts