Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the 2007 1600 classic. Anyone that has one and that can give me some feed back on the bike, and quirks, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. How about the break in period? How did you all handle that as well as the 500 mile check up? Preciate the info!8)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well I have a 03 1600 Classic and I don't think much has changed. Break in - ride it like you stole it. Not to be bumping into the rev limiter, but do not baby it. I babied (BTB) my classic and I don't feel the motor 'seated' until well after I stopped dogging it.

other than that you'll need a new toothbrush and extra toothpaste. (Get the bugs outta your teeth cause you won't be able to stop smiling!!) :lol: :D :D :D

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Got an 05 I've been on almost 3 years. Like already said, still grinning! I can't find a thing to complain about considering the cost & IMO it's the absolute best bang for the buck! I put on a Mustang seat with driver backrest & a set of 14" mini apes. She's so comfortable to me now I have no problem doin 12-14 hrs in the saddle, gotta slap myself every now & then jus to stay awake! :shock:

Broke er in per the owner's manual, changed to synthetic oil at bout 1500 miles & I've had not one problem! Gonna soon hit 25K. Gonna prolly go with a 2K next but for now the 1600 has just been too good to me to consider trading! You'll love it! :biggrin: 8)

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
well i just recently got my 08 VN1600C & find it to be a very comfy & easy riding cruiser .. ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine is a 2006, broken in per the owner's manual, then no holds barred, after 1000 miles. I've got 14,000 miles on it now, all trouble free. I bought the service package from the dealer, so all the service has been done by them, since it's paid for already. No troubles with the bike or the dealer, though some folks on here haven't been so lucky with their dealers.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
There's not been much change from the 1500 of a few years back and there's not been any negative info on either of them. You'll find it pretty much bullet-proof. For break-in, just alter the rpms and don't ride at one level for too long. I took it really easy on my bike during break-in and since that time, I've abused the heck out of it and never had a problem (knock on wood). There's lots of "comfort" mods you can do to it, along with many chrome options. You can't go wrong with it and you'll get years of enjoyment.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the info on this. I am hoping to be moving up the 1600 this spring and am trying to get my research straight. If you all had to pick one and only one mod to do to your ride, what would it be? Just curious where to start.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
It's a great bike.
Keep the oil changed and don't lug it and it'll take good care of you.

Expect about 8k out of the stock tires, keep them inflated to 40 front and rear. At 28-32 they'll cup, get noisy, and handle funny... but when you finally DO wear them out and replace them with a set of Metzlers or Dunlop E3s, you'll wonder how you ever rode on the stockers.

Some people think they're noisy... but most noises are normal. Honestly, other than the idle control solenoids, I don't find any of the noises disturbing or even noticeable.
Some people think they vibrate a lot at idle. I assume these are people used to dual-pin cranks, or inline engines. V-Twins vibrate, but again, I don't find it bothersome at all... you could probably rest a quarter on the tank while it's idling.

The speedometer is about 6-10% fast, so when you think you're doing 70, you're really going just under 65.... but those cagers are still crazy ;)
Speedo Healer can fix the speedo error.

Range is an easy 150+ miles.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
preciate it Rich. I am truly hoping that fat man in the big red suit will park one right in the ole garage for me! There have been a few strange calls from the local dealer so I just wonder what my other half has planned!!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You'll love it.

Bit of warning though... either get a windshield or a fullface lid because if you don't you'll eat a lot of bugs because you won't be able to close your lips from the smile!

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
The 1600 Classic is a great bike. I love mine. I've had it for two months now. I haven't ridden my Honda since, except to fire it up once in a while.
One thing about the Classic is that they throw a noose around its neck and they cinch it down real tight at the factory. Installing an air kit or Caddmann mod (Gadgets Front Page), and some kind of fuel injector tweaking device, maybe along with some pipes will give you some grunt, not to mention making it sound like it looks. They're quiet out of the box. Other things I've changed:
Problem: The license plate bracket looks like a billboard.
Solution: Installed a chrome laydown bracket.
Problem: The stock seat is okay as far as stockers go, but that butt ramp has got to go.
Solution: Mustang Wide Touring.
Problem: I can't breathe!
Solution: 2 X K&N 9" breathers, Power Commander III USB, V&H Bigshots.
Problem: If it's not too inconvenient, please look up from your important cell phone call to notice the big black bike stopping in front of you.
Solution: Kuryakyn Run Turn Brake module.
Problem: Left turning for the blind.
Solution: Signal Dynamics headlight modulator.
Problem: We ain't at the motocross.
Solution: Kuryakyn ISO Grips.
Problem: Will the real biker please sit up?
Solution: Scootworks Phat Risers II
Problem: I coulda swore my wife was on when we left the Thirsty Parrot...
Solution: Cobra sissy bar.
Problem: For some reason, we have to pack for a four day trip to go to a four hour party.
Solution: Carolina Leather saddlebags w/ Easy Brackets (not a big fan of bags).

Those are just the fixes that suited me. Your results may vary. As with any bike... stock sucks!
But overall, the 1600 Classic is great. Good looks and good handling. I would buy one again (unless I was buying a V2K).

Breaking it in? Resist the urge to really nail it, vary your speed often, ignore the shift points pasted on the speedo, don't idle too long. Give it some throttle and engine brake it hard when you can to really seat those rings. For the first hundred, try to limit the amount of time you ride to 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Let it cool off in between. Mine ran hot as hell for the first hundred while friction was high from everything seating itself.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info and great looking ride there givtu! Probably gonna keep it stock when I get it for the break in and then put some pipes on after a few months. Between the V&H and Cobra but not sure. Want something with a good rumble to it and a little growl but not obnoxiously loud. Don't want to wake my little girl up when I come home from work in the early morning. Plus don't want to ruin my wife's beauty sleep either! Any one know of any sound clips to hear the different pipes on the classic?:lol:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Can't say much more than what's been said. except I LOVE this bike! On Break-in, don't baby it but don't do an extended hwy run before break-in either.

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Want something with a good rumble to it and a little growl but not obnoxiously loud. Don't want to wake my little girl up when I come home from work in the early morning. Plus don't want to ruin my wife's beauty sleep either!
The Big Shots are loud, to be sure. I worry about disturbing the neighbors when I'm leaving for work in the morning. I try to keep it as low as I can manage until I'm out of earshot. Rumble? Oh yeah. Very nice sound from these pipes. And with the Caddmann mod, you get a little intake snarl with your exhaust rumble. The sound is kickin'.
You can bring the volume down quite a bit with the V&H "quiet" baffles from what I understand. Still louder and much better tone than stock, but toned down from the regular V&H baffles. A pair of those will run you about $70, I think.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
The 1600 is a great bike, gobs of power, comfortable and nice to look at......reliable.......great value for the money. The Nomad is even better for a touring setup.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
As for mods, and which one is most important, here's my list in order:

1. Windshield of some type. Otherwise your upper back will be aching from fighting against the wind.

2. Risers. Dramatically improve the reach to the grips. I have long arms and never thought much about it, but once I put them on, I realized what I had been missing.

Followed closely by:
3. Driver back rest. it allows you to sit back, relax, not stretch to the grips, and cruise all day long! I put the riser and backrest on just before I did my iron butt ride. HUGE improvement.

From here on, it's all about what you want out of your bike.

A passenger backrest is probably next on the list, assuming that you have someone riding along. They will greatly appreciate it.

Saddlebags are somewhere on the list. Perhaps also a luggage rack if you want to carry a trunk bag.

highway bars would be up there, especially with some pegs on it to stretch your legs out.

Performance mods...air intake, PCIII, pipes (I'm assuming you're FI, right?)

tank bib...keeps the belt from scratching the paint.

running lights could be considered a safety feature. More lighting is always better!

Then there's chrome to consider!

The list never ends!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
06 1600 classic, got it in april put about 5700 miles on it so far. only problems I had was a leaking gas cap and finding a dealer to treat me right. both are fixed....
its a great bike but it does take a lot of work to keep it clean LOL!!!!

this is just after a few hours detailing for an afternoon ride.
ok I admit it. this screams look at me!!!!!
View attachment 15669

1 - 18 of 18 Posts