Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I purchased a 2003 1600 classic from the local dealer here last week and I'm approaching the 500 to 600 mile range for its initial service. My question is, will I blow the warranty if I do this myself. Having been an aircraft mechanic for the last 25 years I feel competent enough to perform this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As dumb as it is, you will blow it. If there will be any problems with the engine (even if it isn't your fault), your dealer immedately checks your maintenance manual and realizes that your warranty is out because the service hasn't been done correctly. It is dumb, I know. I took my 1600 to the dealers for my 600 mile service, and I had to tell the mechanic where the oilfilter was because he didn't find it himself. Tell me about knowledge... Still one and a half year left before I can do things myself :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

some people will disagree -but i still let the dealer perform all maintenance
while any bike is still under warranty,some dealers are more flexible than others but its just safer to make a warranty claim if you have a problem :wink:

·
Registered
226 Posts
My dealer said they had to do the first 600 mile svc but after that, as long as I bought the parts and fluids there and kept records, I could do my own. But, like Bikeaholic, I've just about made up my mind to let the dealer do all my maintenance. It depends on the service I get when I do my 600 mile check. Good svc and they can do it all. Bad svc and I'll do my own or have one of the performance bike shops in the area to do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also am a qualified mechanic and I am ready for my initial 600 mile service. I will read the entire warranty to see if it specifies that the dealer must perform the service. I keep meticulous records in a log while maintaining all reciepts. When I know the answer to this question I will share it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Omega5- if they require you to have them do the first service then they must do it for free. It is illegal for them to require you use them for service as a condition of warranty. Not saying you should not have them do it but what they are telling you is wrong.

·
Registered
458 Posts
davidsherrod said:
Omega5- if they require you to have them do the first service then they must do it for free. It is illegal for them to require you use them for service as a condition of warranty. Not saying you should not have them do it but what they are telling you is wrong.
That sounds about right to me. It may be more difficult to get warranty service, but paying them $230 to change the oil, oil filter and final drive lube is absurd. I seriously doubt they do the other things on the list, other than eyeball things.

After what I have seen the mechanics at the dealer near me, do and not do. I would rather they not touch my bike, unless it's something I can't do. As an example, the new bike I picked up a month ago was prepped by them, and I got it home and found loose throttle cables. Some prep job.

I am saving all my reciepts for materials, tools, etc. I also created a spread sheet with the items to be checked for each mileage interval, and I go down the list and do them all.

There is nothing in the 600 mile service that a person of average mechanical ability, with the right tools, can't do. The most important thing is changing the oil, filter and final drive lube. Also checking bolt tightness, as I did find a few loose ones. If you don't have the tools you may have to spend some money on a few large sockets or wrenches, but you get to keep them.

Just my opinion, Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all, I just went through my owners manual, my service manual and perused Kawasaki's website. I have not found a full warranty to read anywhere. I know there is one at the dealer to read, so one day this week I will get there (70 miles) and get a copy of it. The complete recommended maintenance schedule is outlined in the factory service manual, including the initial 600 mile schedule. Nowhere have I found it written that the 600 mile checkup is mandatory by a dealer or licensed representative of Kawasaki Corp. The manuals do not even specify that any specific brand of motor oil (motorcycle or otherwise) be used. It is only specified that the 1600 should have 10w40 of one or more of several grade designations. I do agree that energy saving oils should not be used. When my 1600 reaches 5000 miles I will switch her to full synthetic oil. Since the clutch runs in the engine oil, it is mandatory (in my professional opinion) that the oil and filter be changed (at minimum) as often as recommended. I prefer more frequent intervals of 1000 miles
less than recommended because the clutch does run in the engine oil. The main reason engine oil gets dirty long before any other type of lubricant is because of combustion gasses that pass by the piston rings.
This "blow-by" occurs with every internal combustion engine, regardless of age and, of course, increases with age. Keeping the oil clean definitely increases the life of all the parts it lubricates. :wink: :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts