Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 1500 Classic. Have logged 37,000 wonderful miles since Spring of '07. My dealer has a leftover '08 1600 Classic priced to sell. I assumed I'd eventually move up to the 1700 but the 1700 just doesn't do it for me--can't say why, just prefer the look of the 1600 (and the shaft-drive). My question is, would I gain much by trading my 1500 for the 1600? What I'm most interested in is dropping my RPM a bit at cruising speeds. Would the 1600 do this or is it too close to the 1500 to notice any difference. Thanks.

windman

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
No expert here and I'm sure others will jump in with more first hand info. On the gadget RPM page, the 1500 / 1600 are on the same RPM template.

Kawasaki Vulcan Speed Calculator

Literature from the time says 10% (or 15?) more hp and torque. I never rode a 1500, but can tell you the 1600 is a great bike for a cruiser.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
No expert here and I'm sure others will jump in with more first hand info. On the gadget RPM page, the 1500 / 1600 are on the same RPM template.

Kawasaki Vulcan Speed Calculator

Literature from the time says 10% (or 15?) more hp and torque. I never rode a 1500, but can tell you the 1600 is a great bike for a cruiser.
I ride my friends 1500 Classic often. He has a 2003 carb model which is significantly less powerful than the 1600. I've also been on a 2007 1500 F.I. and found the performance to be comparable to my 1600. The two bikes (1500 vs. 1600) are actually more different than you might think. They basically share the same engine and driveline but the way they ride and handle is very different.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The Nomad has different gearing than the Classic but I believe that the Classics (both 1500 and 1600) have the same gearing. Both designed for cruising vice touring.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I went from a 1500 to a 1600 and am very pleased with the differences, cruising rpm however, isn't much(if any) different, I never considered that a problem though because I don't think they're working very hard at cruising speed anyway. I used to feel as you do about the 1700's but I believe I will get one of those or a v2k(if they still make them) for my next bike in about 2 years.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like I should stick with my 1500. Don't get me wrong, she's a great bike and I can cruise on her all day comfortably at 75. Maybe I'll try a set of quiet baffles in my Long Shots. Maybe if I muffle the pipes a bit I won't be looking for lower RPMs.

Thanks again.

windman

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I've been thinking. If they were still being manufactured I wouldn't be feeling the pressure to grab one. On the other hand, if they're isn't a significant difference between mine and the 1600 I'll be spending a lot of money (accessories) for nothing.

windman

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We have a 1500 and a 1600. There really isn't much difference performance wise. They are both capable bikes. Neither is super fast but they have plenty of cruising power and will run all day well above highway speed. It's the other things that are different- wheels, seat, brakes, finish of some of the parts. Side by side you can pick out the differences.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
The Nomad has different gearing than the Classic but I believe that the Classics (both 1500 and 1600) have the same gearing. Both designed for cruising vice touring.
Actually, if you check with Gadget's page you'll see the Classic's and Nomads have exactly the same gear ratios.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gadgets page under gadgets tool box-- Check out the rpm / speed link it will tell you the differance in the rpm at any speed for each bike
That page is giving the same template for the 1500 and 1600. So that would suggest they're the same RPM at a given speed?? That surprises me. I would have thought the 1600 would be a few hundred rpms lower. Thanks.

windman

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ride my friends 1500 Classic often. He has a 2003 carb model which is significantly less powerful than the 1600. I've also been on a 2007 1500 F.I. and found the performance to be comparable to my 1600. The two bikes (1500 vs. 1600) are actually more different than you might think. They basically share the same engine and driveline but the way they ride and handle is very different.
Yah, on another forum a guy wrote that he found the 1600 to be a very different animal from his 1500, handling wise. He strongly advised me to test ride one before I buy, which of course I'd do.

windman

·
Registered
995 Posts
Actually, if you check with Gadget's page you'll see the Classic's and Nomads have exactly the same gear ratios.
I ride with a gent who has an 06 1600 Nomad (I have an 05 1500 Classic) and his rpm are always about 200 less than mine at any given speed/gear.

I read an article (Cruiser mag review I believe) that the Nomad has different gearing from the Classics due to the different usage (touring vice cruising).

The Nomads and Classics may have the same gearing if the engine size is the same though. I understand the engine timing/power curve is a bit different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.