Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the train down to pick up my bike today. Once there, it wasn't two minutes before I had my leg over it for the first time. I bought the bike without ever hearing a 1600 or riding one, all information from reviews and articles.

First its an awesome bike to ride. Well balanced, handles well and controls are smooth. Having a little trouble stopping without leaning over a little when I come to a stop, but some practice should take care of that. The balance is so good all you have to do is really engage the clutch and getting it moving just a little and you can pick your feet right up.

The stock sound is adequate and I do like that its not 'too' noisy to piss people off. Still has a nice little rumble when your crusing along or open a throttle a little. The power rolls on nicely and I have to admit I've already broken the 60mph break in speed. Its really hard to ride it in 5th at 60. I've heard a little of the preignition that people have mentioned and the gas cap rattles as predicted. There is another rattle around the fork area that I've heard once or twice, that too was predictable. Guess I need to tighten it all up.

The one thing I'm surprised about is that I didn't expect to feel vibration in my a%$. I read that the bike is almost vibration free. I asked the dealer and they said that vibration is often rated as how it feels in the handle bars. Not much vibration there, but in my rear I definately know that I'm on a throbbing bike. Is this normal?

The seat seems hard, but maybe I'm just not used to it. My back definately feels better if I force myself not to slouch.

The bike is just fun to ride. Doesn't require much physcial effort and just breezes along. I'm looking forward to alot of fun dreamy miles on it.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't worry BigRed, the vibration will go away as soon as you get some miles. About 5000 miles and your bike will run much smoother. Also, during the break in period, don't hesitate to make quick and powerful accelerations time to time (just don't rev the engine too much). This will generate enough pressure in the combustion chamber to seal the piston rings better against the cylinder walls. I've actually read a Kawasaki technician say to a VROC member to ride the bike as it was already broken in. But he pointed out though not to rev it too much.

Oh yeah, remember not to lug the engine...

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
what color 1600 did you get. I'm kinda partial to that lovely metallic maroon, although the pearl white and black look good too

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its Blood Red

Actually kind of cherry red. Its a 2003. I let my daughter (3 1/2) pick the color. There's a lot of black out there. I was partial to the white until I saw it in person, it was just too much white for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Strictly..

Thanks, Strictly...

I can't wait since my rear is tingling. I've got on it a few times and it feels like there is some nice power there. I'm trying to ride in the medium of the band. The mph per gear recomendations for break in, if you adhere to them stricly, feel like it is lugging some times. Should I not be afraid to go over them a little consistantly?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good site

That is a good site. I read the part about pressure, which was mentioned by another post and it does make sense.

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Thanks Strictly..

BigRed said:
Thanks, Strictly...
You're very welcome

BigRed said:
I can't wait since my rear is tingling. I've got on it a few times and it feels like there is some nice power there. I'm trying to ride in the medium of the band. The mph per gear recomendations for break in, if you adhere to them stricly, feel like it is lugging some times. Should I not be afraid to go over them a little consistantly?
I'd say don't be afraid to go over the limits time to time. As I was telling about the technician, he also pointed out that Kawasaki can't of course advice owners to make these kinds of accelerations since they don't want to be responsible in case of an accident or injury... Use common sense when driving, you'll know when it's time to change gear. Forcing the engine to accelerate with far too low rpm's is much more harmful than keeping it in decent rpm zone. Forget the Harley sound...at least in the beginning.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

the bike has a nasty vibe at 35mph-at least mine does,that's the only spot
i just stay away from 35 :lol: - you'll be very happy with the 1600 , its a work horse-cruise all day at 80 smooth as silk 8)

like the others said don't be afraid to RIDE it - it likes the revs and good iol pressure :wink:

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Welcome Big Red!! Great handle since you’ve got the Red Vulcan!

I agree with all the other comments about higher RPM’s. Having lived with my 1600 for 2003 and most of the 2004 season I feel the break-in guidelines from Kawasaki are 5 to 10 mph too low. If you shift when they say, you’ll be lugging the engine a bit. Luckily, I just couldn’t seem to stick to what they said, I shifted on instinct and always shifted 5 to 10 mph over what was recommended.

As soon as you can afford to – ditch the seat! It goes against my grain to have to put a different seat on, but it makes all the difference in the world. And when you think about it – your body’s only in contact with the bike in 3 places. I like the floorboards, the grips are fine, that seat’s terrible!!

I almost got the red, but went with the black – I was looking for the “blacked out” look with black leather, helmet, etc. and I got it, but the red is a very pretty bike.

Enjoy the bike and thinks for sharing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vibe at 35

I also had vibe at 35 , installed a TFI techlusion last week and the vibe
went away . This TFI should be a standard piece of equipment on Fuel
Injection bike .Just love it .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Big Red, Beaver here. I have a 2003 Red 1600 Classic. I have 1200 miles on her. Her name is Gwyneth. She has a F&S passenger back rest, F&S tall windshield, Leatherlyke bags, and a F&S engine guard on the way. I am leaning toward a Mustang seat set, although I like the stock seat just fine. My lady's butt comfort is pushing me toward the seat change. Passenger floorboards will come also. I weigh 235 lbs and I have experienced no annoying vibration problems. She is just "loosening up" good now. I like the stock configuration just fine and have no plans for any performance goodies. This is a first for me, as I have modified everything I have driven. I am going to remove the emblems and have the sheet metal airbrushed. I will have murals done depicting waterfalls and beaver dams. I collect beaver stuff and to date my collection totals over 3500 beavers. These include stuffed animals, cards, paintings, crystal, peweter, gold, hats, shirts, and one 35 pound mounted beaver that was found frozen in a lake in Connecticut. Anyway you hsve chosen a fine ride. Enjoy and be safe. beaver

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks BigBeaver, I would love to see picture with the emblems off before you airbrush. How much does a custom airbrush job like that cost. It would be great for me to think of my own theme and get it done. Is there anything special to painting the side covers cause their plastic?

I am just feeling some vibration through the seat. A previous post indicated that this will go away when its broken in. It is an awesome ride. I really feel like I'm riding a quality machine. I don't have a lot of $$ right now so I'm not planning on changing anything. When I do think about changing things alot of times I can trace it to wanting to do cause a lot of others seem to be doing it...not always a good reason. The overall package is extremely satisfying.

I just don't really like the tank emblem design very much. It seems to detract from an otherwise very nice tank shape design.

Question...when I turn on the igniition key, the warning light comes on until I start it. Is this just part of the diagnostics or warning light check?

Have you ever heard of anyone making or putting on chrome side covers and do you know if such a think would be available?

Bottom line though its the best street bike I have ever had!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks BigBeaver, I would love to see picture with the emblems off before you airbrush. How much does a custom airbrush job like that cost. It would be great for me to think of my own theme and get it done. Is there anything special to painting the side covers cause their plastic?

I am just feeling some vibration through the seat. A previous post indicated that this will go away when its broken in. It is an awesome ride. I really feel like I'm riding a quality machine. I don't have a lot of $$ right now so I'm not planning on changing anything. When I do think about changing things alot of times I can trace it to wanting to do cause a lot of others seem to be doing it...not always a good reason. The overall package is extremely satisfying.

I just don't really like the tank emblem design very much. It seems to detract from an otherwise very nice tank shape design.

Question...when I turn on the igniition key, the warning light comes on until I start it. Is this just part of the diagnostics or warning light check?

Have you ever heard of anyone making or putting on chrome side covers and do you know if such a think would be available?

Bottom line though its the best street bike I have ever had!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, yeah...forgot to ask everyone...

I'm thinking of taking off the passenger seat. My wife will never get on it and I guess I shouldn't hope for another babe as that would get me into trouble.

Anyone do this? How does it look? What do you do with the hole in the fender? Just leave it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stictly that really looks great w/o rear seat. I love it. What the #$%# to do with the license plate which WOULD ruin it for sure? Regarding the holes, is it ok to leave them open?

·
Registered
24 Posts
1600, First Impressions and ?s

Hi Big Red, The cost of custom air brushing varies widely by artist. I live in Sebring Florida and the guy I know here is more than reasonable. He used to be on crack and would work so dirt cheap it was really highway robbery to have him do work. He is really good, and it takes a lot of convincing if you do not naked women in your graphics. He says he is clean and has been for many months. Since I want to do most of my exposed red paint, I believe I will not be out more than $150. Work like this can cost a thousand dollars or more. Some of the machines I have seen at Daytona cost in that range. As Soon as I get my engine bars I will get pics. I am in the middle of a major vehicle swap. I lost a Buick off my trailer last month and need to replace it. I am taking all of the running gear, A/C system, wiring harness, front clip, and everything salvageable from a 1989 bent frame S-10 Blazer and putting it all into a 1986 S-10 Blazer. It was all I had to replace the Buick with and this has been a marathon. I should have it cranked and running today, so I may be able to deliver it tomorrow. This will free me up to play with my scooter. I take all digital pictures, so I take a lot. Over the years I have always taken work-in-progress pictures, so I have a lot of albums. So pictures before and after air brushing to follow. Oh, I just bought a "Captain America" (stars and stripes) hinged full face helmet from J.C. Whitney (DOT). It has a vertically oval black space on the back that is 4" x 5.5". I am having a female beaver airbrushed there with the name Gwyneth at the bottom. Gwyneth is my five year young granddaughter.
As far as airbrushing the plastic side covers, there is no special consideration as long as you are not painting the bare plastic. Your painter/artist will know about that. I always check with my paint supplier when I do plastic, but that is not my major forte. I mostly build and modify things and do not paint much myself. It is easier on the lungs that way. Beaver

1 - 20 of 28 Posts