Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here try mounting a Mean Streak billet light bar ( k32001-007 ) on a 1600 Classic?

I believe it mounts between the headlight and the lower triple clamp on the MS, but the mounting holes are supposedly 4.5" center to center, just like the holes underneath the lower clamp on a Classic.

I bought one from ebay earlier today, so I'll be able to see for myself in a week or so, but I was curious if anyone else here had tried it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, Mean Streak light bar showed up today. Bolt spacing appears to be correct, but the fork trim surrounding the headlight and the fork shrouds prevent it from bolting directly in place. From the looks of it, a 3"x 6" piece of steel with four holes in a 2" x 4.5" pattern (approximately) would allow it to bolt up.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Photos would help, but if you go ahead with the mod may I suggest you use aluminum instead of steel? It won't rust and it is much lighter, and its easier to drill and cut than steel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have roughly 30 years of experience in fabrication and a large assortment of tools, so the ease of working with one material over another isn't really much of a factor.

As far as rust goes, if the steel is painted/coated, that won't be a factor either. Personally, I'd rather have a nice piece of black painted steel under there that'll blend in with the black lower triple clamp and disappear into the shadows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bolt holes in the bottom of the '03 VN1600 are actually ~4.375" center to center (M6 x 1.0) and the Mean Streak light bar's bolt holes are 4.25" center to center.

The MS doesn't have the chrome shroud behind the headlight like the Classic, so the MS light bar is designed to fit a little tighter/closer to the headlight. The mounting tab, therefore, is a bit too short to reach the holes on the lower triple clamp of the Classic.

Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Monoplane Propeller

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Even though the light bar is notched to clear the MS fork tubes, it's not enough to clear the slightly wider Classic forks and additional covers.

In order to get it to fit, I had to fab a couple of .75" x 2.75" extensions out of .125" stainless I had sitting around. I had originally planned on using a single piece of steel, but Home Depot didn't have anything wide enough, and all i had around here was 2" wide. It just wasn't worth the aggravation of welding two pieces together to make 4", so I just made two separate tabs instead.

Each tab received two .25" holes, 1.5" apart. I bolted one end of each to the bottom of the light bar and the other end to the existing holes in the bottom of the triple clamp. Fed the wires around behind the headlight and plugged into the factory connectors in the headlight bucket.

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts