1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok-first weekend on the road,initial observations:

pros- throttle response is fantastic,ride is ultra smooth with shocks
and pre-load set at #2,for solo riding.cornering is NOT as bad as some say
only scraped once in a really hard corner at 30mph-otherwise lean angle is pretty good.acceleration is real good from a 40-50mph roll in 4th
so far handling is very easy and bike responds to small amounts of input
brakes very good

cons-hydraulic clutch :shock: takes some getting used to,very difficult to walk the bike in a tight circle,very narrow friction zone but nothing you can't get used to.slight buzz thru footboards at certain speeds but tolerable.due to the width of the bars slow u-turns and circles are tricky but not impossible with feet up

so far 180 miles mostly around town and going again today to the twisties up in the forest to see what she'll do-very impressed with the bike,and it draws lots of attention with the white pearl paintwork-several fols thought it was a custom paint job-fit and finish is near perfect.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WOW

Great review...except for the clutch and the buzz in the floorboards. Someone complained last week and tried to isolate the vibration...Suggested that they try gel soles in their boots...NICE BIKE!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cool review 8) 8) 8)

Guess it's a good thing it's been so long since I've ridden, the clutch is "strange" but then again so am I :shock: Have not noticed any viberation in the floorboards, but then again I think the bikes so studly any viberation is cool :p

Wish I could have racked up a few miles today on the bike, but due to a birthday was unable to go cruising.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re

thanks zx :wink: it was a pretty good one :twisted:

now have 400 mies on the clock-gas mileage is a liitle off at 35.71mpg ,i was expecting
closer to 40mpg but maybe it will get closer as the motor relaxes a little

bike handles good on the twisties as long as you stay on the throttle,it does not like to coast thru the turns or be braked in the corner-a little gas will pull you right thru

really hate shortshifting it sounds like it will go 80mph in 4th but haven't wound it up yet
speedo illumination is good at night but at dusk its hard to tell if the light is on
when shifting a slight roll on the throttle will eliminate the little tug from driveshaft slop
and you won't even feel it -much like a belt but the throttle is the key here

another 100 miles or so i'll change the oil and start to run it some

to be continued...................

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
thanks zx :wink: it was a pretty good one :twisted:

now have 400 mies on the clock-gas mileage is a liitle off at 35.71mpg ,i was expecting
closer to 40mpg but maybe it will get closer as the motor relaxes a little

bike handles good on the twisties as long as you stay on the throttle,it does not like to coast thru the turns or be braked in the corner-a little gas will pull you right thru

really hate shortshifting it sounds like it will go 80mph in 4th but haven't wound it up yet
speedo illumination is good at night but at dusk its hard to tell if the light is on
when shifting a slight roll on the throttle will eliminate the little tug from driveshaft slop
and you won't even feel it -much like a belt but the throttle is the key here

another 100 miles or so i'll change the oil and start to run it some

to be continued...................
I want to play :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hit the interstate on the way home today with a 30-40 mph headwind :shock: :shock: Other than blowing the crap out of me going 70mph into the headwind the bike did great with lots of power/throtle left.

Think I need a shield :roll: :roll:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
For what it's worth, My 1500's mileage went up after loosening up too. I'd expect the 1600 to be no different. I was in the mid 30's but now on a long run am getting 40-42...

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
bud8fan, when i'm on the long rides i take it easy on the throttle, most of the time, its my close to town jaunts that cause my mileage to slip...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re

bud8-no,i get the famous chirp sometimes when the fan kicks on,but only a couple of times so far.the vibes seem to be about 30-35mph in 3rd,if you
run it up to 40 it stops,course i'm short shiftin' a little right now.
but its thru the whole bike.so far at almost 500 miles now i've already
got the headlight bucket rattle(fixed it) and a slight valve tick at cold start-up
as soon as the oil heats up it stops.

i'll run maw kaw factory oil while its under warranty then run dinosaur oil
till about 5k miles-then switch to syn. i've talked to alot of folks about the swap to syn on the 1600 and the brands vary but i use castrol or mobile1
in just about everything i own :lol: i switched the harley over at 5k and now have 8k with no problems,in fact the oil seems to stay cleaner longer

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Bike, Great review...
Hows the saddle feel? Have you been it for more than an hour at a time yet? Have you had any tapping noise from the eintngine? I need to my bike o the shop for the 600 mile check up and have them check that tapping. I t know alot about bikes but it sound like a rod tapping to me but it doesn't do it all the time. Has anyone else had anything like that?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
re

ussnewco- at first i thought the seat was ok,several peeps say they like it
i sat in it today for 3 hour and just like every other kawi seat i've sat it
its got to go :roll: - my a$$ went numb,my back hurt,i'll get risers and a backrest to cure some of that,but that sharp rise in the stock seat is no good

tapping- yes ,sounds like a valve tap at start up,not evey time-sometimes just running along it'll start-not real loud like a rod but tick,tick.tick
today i was in a ride where i was able to listen to a half dozen 1600's
some did it ,some didn't.-kawi's are noisey and i think this may be normal
mine gets first service next week so my mechanic is gonna take a look
i don't think its a problem-but i comes from #2 cylinder(left side)

think i'm going corbin seat this time,i went mustang on the 800,but i sat
in a corbin today and i like it :shock: and it will form fit to my a$$ with the foam they use :lol:

the bike has eased up a little and i'm running up the rpm's now and it just keeps getting smoother and sweeter-80-85 on the big road today was a cakewalk for this bike-feels very solid and stable

i'm gonna make another post about tire pressure in the bikes,it seems to be an issue as to how the bike handles-i've tried several different press.combinations and found whats best for me so far

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TIRE PRESSURES

Finally someone will admit or rather suggest what works best for them...It's about time...I'd like to know with your Diablo's on the 500 what youlike to run...

·
Registered
137 Posts
You know, bike, I think bike manufacturers know that the seats they put on are inferior quality. For instance, my wife's V-star's saddle felt O.k. at first sit, but after a 50 mile ride my tailbone area was sore enough to make me cuss :roll: . So we saw one of the 'aftermarket' Yamaha seats on friend's bike, liked it and ordered one. Guess what? It comes in a Yamaha box and it's made by Corbin...... Why not just put a good saddle on at the start? Don't they know the difference :lol: :lol: :lol:
Any way, that's my rant for the day. Weather is $hllTy again to day, has been for the past 1 1/2 weeks..... :( . If you're looking to relocate and like riding your scoot, DON'T move to northcentral Wisconsin!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
1600 Classic Report

I am having a great time getting in tune with my new 03 Vulcan Cruiser. I weigh about 245 and I am 5' 11" tall. The bike is a perfect fit and is totally comfortable to ride. I have just 550 miles on it and my longest ride so far is just under an hour. I have experienced no vibrations throught the rpm range in any gear. I feel that the bike could have had a slightly lower first gear. Since the second overdrive (30 %) is a bit too tall, a slightly lower rear gear ratio would be the best remedy. I am getting used to her now and this is so minor, I wouldn't go to the trouble to make any such changes. This bike has a great power range and a teriffic feel. We will see if an extended trip will change my mind about the seat. I always rode Harleys and will never return. I am considering a side car for her. Oh yes, her name is Gwyneth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1600 Classic report

In my previous report I failed to mention the features I was looking for that led me to choose the 1600. It is the smallest of the big V-twins that I could find that is fuel injected. This was my primary requirement as I am a fuel injection fanatic. I have done many automotive fuel injection conversions. I will not own and drive a carbureted vehicle. Water cooling and shaft drive were also necessary, along with the "fit". I have exactly what I was looking for. I added a factory Kawasaki tall windshield and a pair of hard ABS leather lookalike lockable saddlebags to round out the package. I experienced a slightly different road feel with the windshield installed, but not a bad one. It seems like the front end is a little more stable at high speed. I never used a windshield before, so I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LOOKING

When I finish my 250R this winter I too will be looking for something that is fuel injected,,,for my cross country riding. I have thought about the 500R, but I have reservations about carbs and altitude problems when I'm on the open road. Ca, NV, OR, WA, UT, MT and at 12,000'+ I just dont want anything to messup. I cannot ride a cruiser, as I have had surgery on 3 disks and fusion with cages puts so much pressure on my back, so I am satisfied with a sport bike that I can put my tankbag on and perhaps on the really long roads relax on...with my slightly larger Puig windscreen...I figure with unlimited mileage, I can put some serious mileage and get around the entire contenent, over the borders in several places and log everything, before I return home, and post my journey, and pictures on the web of most of the FORUM members along the path. These brothers, sisters, and a few mixed cousins...they are a hoot! When I leave MT, I plan on heading east if I pick it up in the late spring...IF I can pick it up late this year I will head straight west and take the coast all the way down to SanDiego, CA and then stay south till I get past the Interstates and take old US Highways. I have NO use for the super slabs... Fill in your Profile and let us see you!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
re

like big beaver i choose the vulcan over the road star for the same reasons-
f/i,shaft,water cooled,-these make for a very low maintenance bike-
mine is going in for 1st service friday and we'll check her out

1 - 20 of 36 Posts