Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved from Easton, PA to Austin, Texas. I was too busy to write, now I’m all settled here and I wanted to share this with you.

It’s 1700 miles distance. I made three trips, first on my bike (it was mid November), then I flew back, drove my Tundra towing a trailer, flew back again, and drove a rented Penske 26’ diesel moving truck. The bike ride took 3 days sunrise to sunset; I arrived in Austin a couple of hours ahead of schedule about 4pm on the 3rd day. I rode thru PA, WV (northern panhandle), Columbus and Cincinnati, OH, Louisville, KY, Nashville and Memphis, TN, Little Rock, AR, and finally Dallas to Austin, TX. This was not the Google maps-recommended route, but weather forecast said it might rain in eastern TN, so I went around to avoid getting wet. Mornings were quite cold; I wore chaps and double gloves until lunch stop, but afternoons were much warmer. I expected warmer climate in the south, but I was still surprised to see people wearing t-shirts and short pants when I got to Austin :-D . I wore full-face helmet all the way, half-size felt too windy. I have good leather gear, jacket, gloves, chaps, boots; it worked well, kept me warm and comfortable. I was going steady 70-80 mph all the way, only got caught in traffic once for about 30 min on the second day passing thru Cincinnati during the morning rush-hour. Highways were good, except Arkansas, too many potholes there and concrete roads with gaps between slabs that feel like riding a train. When I left Easton both my tires were still ok, but now I need a new rear tire. The bike was packed full, both side-bags and the back seat. The average gas mileage I got was about 34 mpg, range on full tank would be about 180 miles, but I was stopping for gas every 150 miles, not knowing the distance to the next “good” station. The bike prefers Exxon and Texaco, after almost 8K miles I know it, I can feel the difference in performance and vibrations.

Overall it was a great ride, but later I felt those 1700 miles for a few days in my butt :) . The bike proved itself, brough me all the way here safely, and without any problems.

I love it here, in PA I would have to park the bike for the winter already, here I can ride it to work almost every day (although last week was quite cold). Texas it's a awsome state and Austin is an great city. I feel like a Texan already, I bought cowboy boots and a hat, and a bumper sticker for my truck that says "I wasn't born it Texas, but I got here as fast as I could". Now I'm waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer to go ride the Hill Country roads I keep hearing so much about :biggrin:

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
You moved at the right time. November wasn't all that bad riding-wise, at least here in western PA. Buddy of mine lives in Austin. He moved a couple of years ago. He loves it!!! He don't ride bikes but he golfs. He said he just about played at least once a week the whole year.

Lucky...

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Austin is a good city but get ready for those 100+ degrees during the summer days! but if up to me I rather ride on 100 degree weather than under 55 degrees.

I haven't seen that sticker but I like it already :)
Welcome to Texas

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
Sorry I never hooked up with you while you were in PA. My son lives in Easton so I go there all the time. Enjoy Texas, I'm jealous!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!
Locals warn me about the summer, but I'd rather be hot than cold, cold hurts, and riding on snow and ice is less fun than riding on hot asphalt :-D.
Another funny bumper sticker (or a postcard) I saw said "After 7 days of trial and error, God created Texas on the 8th day" :lol:. This state has it's own style and a sense of humor about it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome to Texas... Austin is great with many places to ride and enjoy. Its very diverse... north we have snow... south we have palm trees and beaches. Heck u are smack dab in the middle of it all.... it's a wonderful state... have fun! :biggrin: btw.. I'm a transplant from the north as well and have never looked back... luv it here!

·
Actually, EX-CarGuy
596 Posts
Welcome to Texas. I moved to Austin from New York in 1975 and wouldn't move back for anything. You'll get used to the summer heat (somewhat) but I suspect your first summer will feel brutal, especially if we have another like last year. This is a particularly cold winter so you're seeing the extreme side. Normally there's no problem finding good riding weather in winter. Mid February to early March and the weather will be unbeatable. Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just be ready for some rough winds, Texas is noted for it, lol
U're right about the winds... brutal on the freeways... thus adding the '09 Vulcan 900 Classic to compliment my '09 Kawi Ninja.... brutal spring winds for sure.:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts