Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lost but making good time
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the 900 to a 1700 Nomad. Anybody know if they have self-canceling turn signals? It isn't a major factor in my decision of what bike to upgrade to but is on my 'wish list' of items the 900 didn't include.

·
18,096 Posts
Ok... since I have never looked into them. Are they time based or what shuts them off?
On my 2006 1600 they are timed. Irritating if you have to sit at a light or somethin cause they shut off and you don't realize you are no longer signaling your turn.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Ok... since I have never looked into them. Are they time based or what shuts them off?
On my 2007 1600 MS they are not timed, they go by distance and the stop factor.
If you haven't made a stop they go for about 400 meters (if I remember correctly) and if you have made a complete stop after you turned them on they go for another 60 meters before they shut off.

They never shut off while standing still.

·
18,096 Posts
On my 2007 1600 MS they are not timed, they go by distance and the stop factor.
If you haven't made a stop they go for about 400 meters (if I remember correctly) and if you have made a complete stop after you turned them on they go for another 60 meters before they shut off.

They never shut off while standing still.
I am almost sure mine have shut off sitting still, but amybe it was on an offramp or somethin. I know it has went off when I didn't want it to, just don't remember the specifics.

Now you got me wonderin. Gonna have to investigate.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
I am almost sure mine have shut off sitting still, but amybe it was on an offramp or somethin. I know it has went off when I didn't want it to, just don't remember the specifics.

Now you got me wonderin. Gonna have to investigate.

yeah, I had to look it up as well, and here's what the manual says (we were both right, kinda'):
..is cancelled after it has first been on for 8 seconds, and then the MC has traveled an additional 65meters (213ft).
I've edited this post because when I thought about it, the numbers really adds up to my experience. :p
The signals never turns off when standing still because you have to move 65m first.

·
Lost but making good time
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the responses all. Just wanting to be as informed as possible.

·
18,096 Posts
yeah, I had to look it up as well, and here's what the manual says (we were both right, kinda'):

I've edited this post because when I thought about it, the numbers really adds up to my experience. :p
The signals never turns off when standing still because you have to move 65m first.
Not sure how far 65 meters is, but that could be my situation. Turn signal on while approaching turn (approx.66 meters). Sit and wait for clearing to pull out. Wait more than 8 sec. goes of.

????? Interesting. Glad you looked it up as I would have spent hours turning mine on and timing how long it took to go off. :)

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Not sure how far 65 meters is, but that could be my situation. Turn signal on while approaching turn (approx.66 meters). Sit and wait for clearing to pull out. Wait more than 8 sec. goes of.

????? Interesting. Glad you looked it up as I would have spent hours turning mine on and timing how long it took to go off. :)

hehe
well, in my post (quoted text) it says 65m(213feet), so I guess it's 213 feet. ;)

In your case you're almost right but it has to be the other way around, the 65m must come AFTER the 8 seconds, so probably you had it on for 8 secs approaching the turn and then traveled another 64m before stopping, and then maybe you really slowly went for another meter (3 feet) during the "stop" and then they stopped blinking while waiting. But you probably didn't stand completely still when they turned off.

·
18,096 Posts
hehe
well, in my post (quoted text) it says 65m(213feet), so I guess it's 213 feet. ;)

In your case you're almost right but it has to be the other way around, the 65m must come AFTER the 8 seconds, so probably you had it on for 8 secs approaching the turn and then traveled another 64m before stopping, and then maybe you really slowly went for another meter (3 feet) during the "stop" and then they stopped blinking while waiting. But you probably didn't stand completely still when they turned off.
DOH! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Self Cancel Turn Signals

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the 900 to a 1700 Nomad. Anybody know if they have self-canceling turn signals? It isn't a major factor in my decision of what bike to upgrade to but is on my 'wish list' of items the 900 didn't include.

Never had the turn signal turn off while sitting at a light. Really didn't realize that the 8 second / 65 meter thing was how they were controlled. Never had a problem with them.

8 seconds @ 30 MPH = 372'. At 60 twice that. Have never turn the signal on that far away although now that I know this I will try it to see if they will turn off before I get to the intersection.

·
Retired Retard
156 Posts
After y'all get this solved I'd like someone to find out if my refrigerator light goes out when I close the door.
Thanks.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
After y'all get this solved I'd like someone to find out if my refrigerator light goes out when I close the door.
Thanks.
It's already solved.

Yes, it does.

·
Registered
167 Posts
R.R.R. Refridgerator Remote Reconnasance

Next, the cadbury secret....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts