Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to change the front sproket to an 18 tooth to get that "sixth gear". Dealer did a calc on the RPM change and came up with only 150 or so RPM difference at 60 MPH. Didn't sound like a big enough change to bother with. I've read elsewhere in this forum from folks saying there is a significant difference. Who's right?

Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i've never calculated the rpm change but i would think its more than that
i changed mine some time ago and it is a very popular change with many
800 owners-mine is a B model

it takes some of the scream out of the motor above 70mph without
losing a whole lot of low end-just make sure you torque the sprocket
to 150ftlbs instead of the factory tq spec :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i used the original chain with no problem and still have it on at 11k

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
just adding one tooth should make the highway speeds much more easy going without taking away too much grunt. Listen to bikeaholic though, he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Changing one tooth on the front sprocket will make a little difference, and just alittle. Going one tooth larger or smaller should not require adding or subtracting a link. Your chain tightening adjustments on the rear axle should have enough slack to take up the difference. Now if you decide to go two teeth then you will have to add or subtract a link and two teeth bigger while make a difference. When I dragged years ago I used to drop from a 15 to a 13 on the front. It gave me a whole new first gear and eliminated using 5th through the traps. Coming off the line it would redline before I could get my feet on the pegs. I changed that front gear so offen I had that R&R down to 20min.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
800AJAY I posted to your question in the cruiser thread. The 18 on the front is as big as you can go due to clearance issue's. One tooth on the front is equal to three on the back. You don't lose much on the hole shot off the line. But it sure helps on the superslab. Well worth it in my opinion . The chain will work fine , plenty of room to adjust in the rear.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Check out the belt drive conversion for the 800 at scootworks. It is supposed to change the highway RPM's a lot.

www.scootworks.com

bluestringer

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The belt drive suck's , The belt tend's to break around 1000 to 1500 mi.'s leaving you were you don't want to be . The only guy's or gal's that still have them on there bikes don't ride the 800 to it's full potenial, meaning lugging it an driving slow , along with not rapping it out on the top end. That's why scootworks is running a special on them to unload stock. You'll be hard pressed to fine anyone with more than a couple thousand miles on them without having any problem's . I'm replacing my sprockets an chain after 15'000 mi. You won't fine any one with near that many mi.'s on the belt drive conversion, Something to do with to small of pully on the front. If you check around you'll find quite a few 800 rider's going back to the chain because of it's dependabilty.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

agreed - belt drive for the 800 stinks :roll:

too many complaints vs compliments :wink:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thanks Wodchuck, and Bikeaholic, I too had been considering the belt drive from Scootworks...thought it was a good idea. Guess I'll stay with the chain and possibly change front sprocket to 18 tooth this winter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If for some reason the 18T doesn't do it enough for you there is always the option of changing the rear sprocket to a 40. Stock is 42. Anyone try to do both ends? What was the result?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
800aj---I planing on switching this week along with the chain. I've got a tach on the bike, so I'll get some numbers with the 17/42,18/42,an the 18/40 which is what I'm going too. Finding a 40 tooth will be kinda hard to find ,only found one company that makes them . The 18/40 will be the same ratio as the above mentioned belt drive.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good WC8. I'm real interested in the result. I had an 800B a few years ago and don't remember at all the feeling of high RPM's I'm getting from the 800A I now have. I have no idea what sprockets were on the 800B. The 800A just seems to be wound really tight at 60MPH. Also, the speedo on the Vulcans seem to be about 5 MPH off at 60 (you're really going 55). Are they all like that?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Jay The earlier 800's, 96 an maybe 97 had a 16/46 set-up or a 256 ratio. Does that sound high or what!? Then they went to a 17/42 or a 247 ratio better, but the 18/42 or a 233 ratio, which is what I've got now. The 18/40 will be 222 ratio. the 40 tooth rear sprocket was a problem to find the dealer had my new 18 tooth an chain last thur. but the supplier called an said they don't make a 40 tooth anymore, so we had to look for another manufactor. Found jt sprockets they still make a 40 tooth for now. The vulcan speedo's all seem to be off by at least 7 to 10 percent, Don't know why? someone else might? I knew that the speedo's were off by that much an ride accordingly like 90 on the superslab figured I'm doing about 80 so I haven't gotten stopped yet .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WC8. The 800B I had was 2001, so it should have had the 17/42. I've ordered the 18T sprocket last Saturday and was going to order a 40T but then cancelled thinking I would see what the change to the front would do first. Not that it matters, but I'll find out the source on the 40T.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Hey guy's I started a new thread in the cruiser forum on this topic since were talking about this same topic in a couple of places.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts