Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO ALL,
newbie here. i bought a 1986? or so klf 185 bayou. it had only 40 psi of compression. so i bought rings and a head gasket. I installed those but forgot to take note to where the timing mark on the cam gear points at top dead center. And to make matters worse, I cant find a book for this particular model. It seemed there was a small punch mark or scratch (couldnt tell) on the case of the head at the 12oclock position. so, i put it together like that.. Needless to say. i'm having problems. Still no compression at the plug. However, i put a spark plug in it and held my hand over the intake and pulled the starter. It seems to be pushing air out the intake.. Big PROBLEM!. Does anyone know exactly where that cam gear mark should point.. the 220 bayou book says straight up. I think this one is supposed to be in the same place but its not working for me.. Is there such a thing as being 180 degrees off? my crank is at TDC. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanx

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
It sounds as if you are 180 degrees off. I would pick up a manual, Haynes has one for the 1985-2003 185 through 300 cc models. It is publication #2351.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the info! I did get the engine running. To show you how new to this i am, it probably didnt even need the rings. my intake valve was adjusted too tight. i adjusted it and it fired right up. but there are plenty of other problems. I have alot of smoke coming from my crankcase breather hose. that may be because of the new piston rings and will wear off. It's nice to know there is a forum out here for the help. I will definately be using it til i get it running like it should. thanks again

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Some excessive blow-by is to be expected with a new piston and rings, and will continue until the rings seat as they break in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts