Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law was killed in a plane crash almost 50 years ago. The 1968 Kawasaki 120 Road Runner he bought before he was killed has been in the wood shed ever since. His two kids have grown and have kids of their own. I've been riding and working on dirt bikes for over 50 years and figured I could get it going for the grand kids. I pulled it out from under burlap sacks and discovered rust and cracked tires. You can imagine. I want to make it into a dirt bike and need to know how to run the bike without the battery. So far I can't get spark.
Thoughts?
Twenty years after the crash apiece of luggage came down a river. Ten years after that the crash site was found. His kids (and all of us) didn't have closure for 30 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
That's an amazing story! So sorry for your loss and for the time it took to reach closure.
Restoring that bike would be a nice tribute to your brother. Do you get spark with a battery connected?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery was toast - corroded so badly that it was stuck in the battery box. Actually had to break it apart to get it out. Got a new battery and no spark. Cleaned all the rust from the flywheel and stator. I just took everything apart again and noticed corrosion on the connection to the points.
What would be the function of the battery? Can it run without the battery?

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Some of these older bikes can run without a battery, if you don't mind going without a headlight or horn but this varies from bike to bike. We would have to look at a wiring diagram to be certain. Once you get it running it is easy enough to disconnect the battery and see if it runs without it. The headlight may even work, but it will probably vary in brightness from very dim at idle to possibly too bright at high RPM's causing premature failure of the headlight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts