Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to install an ignition coil on this bike since it was missing.
The coil has one yellow lead coming out of it as well as the plug wire.

I need to figure out which of the 5 leads coming from the engine is the one that goes to the yellow wire leading to the coil.
I believe that the wire I am looking for is the one coming from the points however this wire goes directly to the condenser which in turn appears to feed 2 of 3 coils on the plate.

I found the condenser case was touching the screw that secures one of the coils. Could this be one of my problems? I glued a piece of rubber around the condenser just in case.

When I turn the flywheel and the points open shouldn't the wire that leads to the ignition coil make and break continuity?

Also can anyone tell me what the black rubber part does that the green wire attaches to in the image I attached?

I have a service manual on order but in the meantime I want to install new points and make certain everything is looking OK before replacing the flywheel.

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK,

Here is what I now have: I buy a Brand New set of points then check continuity just to confirm they are working. I open them and circuit opens etc. They work perfectly.

Now I install them on the bike and they do not work! Even though the contacts are open they still complete the circuit.

I Am Completely Stumped

·
Registered
8 Posts
The condenser case is grounded so touching a screw won't hurt.

It's important to understand how these ignition circuits work. It's not like a car, where the current goes from the ignition switch to one side of the coil's primary winding, through the winding, and from there to the points, where it's grounded when the points are closed and it's an open circuit when the points are open.

On these motorcycle's type of magneto ignition current goes from the ignition source coil (under the flywheel next to the points) to the points, but not THROUGH the points, and on to the coil. When the points are closed this current goes to ground through the points and therefore doesn't charge the coil. When the points open this current now goes through the coil's primary winding to ground, charging the coil and sparking the plug. In other words both sides of the points are grounded, the fixed point is grounded through the plate it's attached to and the moveable point is grounded through the coil's primary winding. This can be confusing when testing for continuity.

Does this make sense? If not let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts