Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been restoring a 71 G3TR and although the bike is complete and in outstanding overall condition, I want to slowly replace scratched and dented parts with new OEM. I know this is tough to answer but does anyone know how difficult it is to obtain certain parts? For example I can buy a brand new side cover for about 65 bucks. It does have very minor scratches on it even though it comes directly from old stock. I hate to lose this piece if parts like this are hard to find. Anyone know if these parts come around often on Ebay?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is an image of the bike after roughly 2 weeks of minor disassembly, cleaning & polishing etc. I have this sucker purring like a kitten and once again am using this little toy as a beginners bike.

Since I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years even a 100cc is something you need to get accustomed to for 10 minutes or so.
After careful consideration I believe I will be moving into a Vulcan soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought one of these and I love it!. It is complete except for the air filter missing, the tail-light lens and reflector/socket missing, and it has aftermarket turn signals installed. Also the wiring harness has been hacked up a bit, but not too bad.

Have you found a good source for parts? I'm looking for the tail-light lens and socket. Does anyone happen to know if that tail-light assembly was used on other bikes? I will install a K&N or something similar for an air filter. I'm not doing a concourse restoration, just want to make it presentable. I will have to paint it since the gas tank has a couple of small dings and a small patch of rust on the right side. The inside of the tank is excellent. The tank and side cover decals are available at ReproductionDecals.com, as I'm sure many members of this forum are aware.

I have always liked the old Japanese bikes, particularly the Kawasakis and the Yamahas (I have three 70's GT/MX 80s) and am enjoying get back into them as a hobby. There's nothing I'd rather do with my evenings than putter around in my garage with these cool old bikes. (Catherine Zeta Jones being unavailable, that is. :) )

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tail-light was used on several other models around the build dates. I have a brand new one but can't remember where I got it. I will check my records. Is the air filter housing missing also? You can make a new filter from foam. I have a lot of parts if you get in a bind. have fun jim

·
I like vintage stuff!
165 Posts
I've been able to find a straight used frt fender, a tailight lens, and new fork boots on Ebay for mine. I need white side covers, too, but guys on Ebay want an arm and a leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info jsmith.

Yes, the air filter housing is missing too, there's just a big hole in the top of the housing on the engine case. Which makes me wonder if this is the original motor since the pictures I see on the internet don't seem to have the filter in that location?

Also I just realized that the right side sidecover is actually a left side sidecover that someone modified a bit so that it sort-of fits. I'm finding out little things like that here and there. Like the "choke" cable, which was disconnected, is not the correct one, the end that goes into the lever is to big, and the spring that goes under the choke lever screw to provide the friction to hold it in place is missing. I think that's how that works, if my memory serves me right.

I spent the day yesterday connecting up all of the cut wires in the harness and I still have no head light and the turn signals are very dim. Sounds like a bad ground/connection somewhere which I will try to trace today. I also found, when I was tracing an intermittent loss of spark and removed the flywheel and magneto plate (?) that the left side crankshaft seal was folded over about a quarter of it's circumference and so, obviously, is leaking. Does anybody know of a source for this seal? I haven't seen crank seals on ebay yet.

I'll post some pictures just in case anybody else has the same insatiable interest as I do in viewing random pictures of assorted old bikes in various conditions.

I'm having nothing but fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see now that this model had the little ribbed "breadbox" type of air filter cover rather than the round one that I had seen on some on the 'net. Guess I'll have to look for one of those!

I also notice that the fender, at least on the front, is not stock.
It never ends!

I'm going to go and play with it some more now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Jim, I'll let you know when I post some pics.

Today I finished figgerin' out and fixing the wiring harness. Since I don't have a manual I traced wires and drew myself a little wiring schematic. It all turned out fine, the headlight now works on both hi and low beam and the turn signals work, although the apparently original flasher has seen better days! Now I just need a tail-light and I'm ready for the road! I am excited. Oh, yeah, and a horn. No horn in sight and I don't even see where it was mounted.

I also rebuilt the carb today. It was quite plugged up with deposits. I don't even understand how the enriching circuit was working since the little jet in the float bowl was totally plugged, but it did seem to help it start. The air passage to the needle jet was plugged too. Should run great now!

Now I just need to find out how to set up the injector pump properly. It has been running extremely rich. I think previous owners were premixing, just in case, and still had the pump hooked up so the pipe is quite carboned up. I have found the injector pumps on the Yamahas to be very reliable, I assume the Kawi pumps are too?

Anyway, the fun continues!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't needed any carb parts to this point, just a good cleaning. I'm afraid I don't know any sources for them either, since I'm just getting back into this. Some others on this site will certainly know of sources for them so hopefully somebody will reply with the info!

I do need the little wiring harness for the speedometer, though. I looked on ebay but they're not quite the same. My harness should only have three wires since it doesn't have a turn signal indicator, just the night-time lighting, a neutral indicator and high-beam indicator. Pretty simple!

Anyway, I'm having fun with mine and hope you are too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts