Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1971 Kawasaki Samuri. I goes like no other 250cc bike i have Ridden. It smokes a bit more than a normal Two Stroke. Is this commen for this type of Bike? Also Iam a metal fabrecater. Does anyone know the dimentions of the expantion chambers for this bike? If i knew that i would build them. Thanks I would post an image of the bike but i do not know how. (I'M New here) Thanks in advance

Mark Reid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i got it

I think i found out what was wrong with my 1970 Samuri. Two things. (A) the pump was turned up a bit. I did not move it however because the Spark Plugs were not black the were a chalk/brown I belive this is a good thing. (B) i also noticed the carbs were very dirty. I cleaned them both. I screwed up the settings. But after a while i got it right. The bike works Real Good now. My Next project is to get it in the bacement of my house without my wife catching me. I have to roll it through the living room to do it. Iam going to strip the Bike and restore it over the winter. Paint it Kawasaki Green and find a set of low bars.Kind of give it a Cafe Racer Look. I have Pics of the Bike. As soon as i figure out how to post pictures i will keep you posted on the progress. I did not mention the after i cleaned the carbs the smoking reduced to a more acceptable level.

Mark

·
Registered
605 Posts
go to the forum index that says - show off your ride...then in there you can attach pictures.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Welcome

Mark,

Welcome to the best forum on the internet...we have a lot for fun shooting the breeze about bikes here.....look forward to hearing from you often. Keep us posted on your restoration progress!!!!

Heather

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Carbs

My 750 was running OK, but kept sputtering during acceleration. A tune up on the carbs fixed that. Now she is running 100% --just got it back from the shop yesterday..Mack (my other half) said it tried to pull him off the handle bars...Will go riding Sunday after church. Can't wait

I started riding on a Honda 250 Elsinore....it would get up and go..didn't know how good it was and rare they were until I sold it...oh well we all live and learn.

Heather

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

wow - another elsinore rider,i used to race that bike back in 1974
and needless to say dominated the field :lol: :wink:

it was a very fast bike

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Very fast

It was very fast......I tried to use it off road and it was too big and heavy for me to manuver on tight trails, etc.....rode it around Oahu and later in Virginia Beach before I sold it as a commuter.

Heather

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

interesting heather - that bike weighed in at 208 lbs wet if i recall right
and that was 12 or so lbs lighter than the yammy dt3 or suki savage who
were its rivals. i had the fastest 250 around briefly :lol: i used a bassani
chamber and changed the gearing and the bike was a rocket out of the gate

oh- and i grew up in va.beach too 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was riding a 64 HD Sprint 250 in the late 60 s when the Avenger and later the Samarai came out. They were so quick but a guy I knew with a Suzuki X6 Hustler could out run the Avenger. Those were fun days. Right now i have a 1971 Kawasaki 250 F8 that is a real kick to ride except the clutch is about shot, the motor runs real good. If anyone knows where I could get one or if any other clutch would work with modifications or if this clutch could be relined I would appreciate any advice. The bike is just to good to put out to pasture. I also have a 1966 175 that is in very nice condition but I haven't had it running in about 19 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
psschwab, You may want to check Dennis kirk.com. I've found several parts for my old enduros, including a clutch kit for one of my F7's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts