Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,
I added this old girl to the stable this past winter.The bike runs fine.....just looks like an old boiled boot! Does anyone know how to operate the hi/low transmission? The bike runs through the gears ok,but I haven't a clue about this hi/low bar mounted lever system.....how does it operate?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
the 72,s had the old style motors in them. ( 70-71-72-73 ) the shifter is on the bottom of the 10 speed box on the left side of the bike. the shifter in the new style motors (74-75 ) is on a lever on the right handel bar. i have a 1970 and a 1974 in the barn and love then. and i think that you will to. hope tha this help you. Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys sorry for thred jacking but I cant find how to start my own post...new to the site!!!
may be you guys can help me with my question...I just got a 1970 g4tr ...the cable is missing in the oil pump area!!!where does the cable from the oil pump
hook up to and what is its purpose????

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
That cable runs with the throttle cable.They attach about halfway down the throttle cable.Hope you mixed your fuel.The pump must have been disconnected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok im new to the two stroke engine's....there is a blue oil in the oil tank....2 stroke oil im guessing!!!
I held the spring leaver thing open where the cable was missing when the engine was running...would this cause oil to come out the exhaust??

Also ther is oil in the crank, with the dipstick??? Is it two seperate kinds of oil??

If so what kind of oil is used...

tank?
crank case??

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ok im new to the two stroke engine's....there is a blue oil in the oil tank....2 stroke oil im guessing!!!
I held the spring leaver thing open where the cable was missing when the engine was running...would this cause oil to come out the exhaust??

Also ther is oil in the crank, with the dipstick??? Is it two seperate kinds of oil??

If so what kind of oil is used...

tank?
crank case??

2 stroke oil in the tank, gear oil in the gearbox with the dipstick (not the crank)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think in the gearbox it's just 10w30.injector oil in the tank.You must be running mixed gas or it would have siezed up.So when you open the injector pump,It runs very rich ,that's probably the oil you see coming from the exhaust.If you buy the proper throddle cable for the bike it will have the cable for the injector pump with it.Not sure about running the bike on mixed fuel.Sometimes there are bearings that don't get lubricated if the injector is not operating(It is like this on a 73 f11 250 I have ),but I'm not sure about your bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok thanks!!!!! When I had the bike running I did pull the oil pump open a fair bit....I guess that why the oil was coming out of the exhaust!!!
As for the throttle cable, I have one ordered on ebay!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings! I just recently bought a 1972 kawasaki 100 and after the first day it wouldn't go into gear? I'm new to dirt bikes so i have no idea what do do. I'm also new to this website. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, just got a deal on a 72 kawaskaki g4tr. Does anyone know the max size i could bore the cylinder/sleeve? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
the 72,s had the old style motors in them. ( 70-71-72-73 ) the shifter is on the bottom of the 10 speed box on the left side of the bike. the shifter in the new style motors (74-75 ) is on a lever on the right handel bar. i have a 1970 and a 1974 in the barn and love then. and i think that you will to. hope tha this help you. Bob
My 1972 has the cable lever. Everything I have read said that this option was first available in 1972.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts