Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my grandfather had this old bike in his barn that we got talking about and I asked him if it was something he would want to get rid of. After a few minutes he said I could have it. The throttle is stuck, and so is the S lever (not sure what that is, some info would be good). I am thinking the carbs need to be cleaned and I just got a new battery. Only has about 7k miles, and is all original.

Can anyone tell me about this bike?

Here is a picture I found of what it looks like.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That's a 1973 S1A 250 Mach I, as stated. The "S" lever is the choke (enrichener really, but same purpose. It adds more fuel instead of less air that a traditional choke does). There's one cable on the side of each carb that are operated by the S lever. There's a plunger in each carb that lifts and open for more fuel when you push the lever. The plungers are most likely what's stuck.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
im seriously jealous !!!! i miss my S2 350..... such a FUN FUN BIKE .... but be real careful since this bike has been sitting.... it has seals between the cylinders that can/will leak..... its a hard bike to find pistons for (they are out there but pricey)
but def. check out the kaw triple board and they will spend your money for ya very nicely....

:cry:

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Okay, so my grandfather had this old bike in his barn that we got talking about and I asked him if it was something he would want to get rid of. After a few minutes he said I could have it. The throttle is stuck, and so is the S lever (not sure what that is, some info would be good). I am thinking the carbs need to be cleaned and I just got a new battery. Only has about 7k miles, and is all original.

Can anyone tell me about this bike?

Here is a picture I found of what it looks like.

Thanks guys.

Thats a horrible bike, and you are going to hate it with passion.......i think your only chance for happiness is for me to take it off your hands.

Please let me know where i can pick it up at....and no need to thank me, I am glad to save you from that bad bike. :biggrin: ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
im seriously jealous !!!! i miss my S2 350..... such a FUN FUN BIKE .... but be real careful since this bike has been sitting.... it has seals between the cylinders that can/will leak..... its a hard bike to find pistons for (they are out there but pricey)
but def. check out the kaw triple board and they will spend your money for ya very nicely....
The 250's are actually easy to find pistons for. Relatively cheap, too. It's the 350 and 400 pistons that have been difficult to find, but it's starting to get easier now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, good, I am getting the carbs cleaned soon, so hopefully if I replaced all the fluids it will start right up :p

Is this a rarer bike? I am just curious, first bike, so I am clueless.

·
kwaka4life
61 Posts
Ah, good, I am getting the carbs cleaned soon, so hopefully if I replaced all the fluids it will start right up :p

Is this a rarer bike? I am just curious, first bike, so I am clueless.

Not rare but not loads about. If you intend on running the bike i suggest that you check all the seals, eng oil, 2 stroke oil, the oil can congeal and block the pipes up, how long has it been stood, try these forums for info, free to join and always helpful.

RB's Kawasaki Triples Forum • Index page

Kawasaki Triples WorldWide • Index page

Nice lookin bike, worth doing a full restore

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if you dont understand this bike then its gonna be a shame when it blows up cause it wasnt taken care of correctly.... its not your everyday 4-stroke beater that you can just jump on and go ...... its a OLD 2-stroke so its gonna take upkeep.... and it sounds like you dont know enought about bikes to be that person......

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
You have stumbled into a classic & prized 250. Take good care of it, as the mc world will likely never see it's kind again. It looks low-tech by modern standards, but when those bikes were new, they were light years ahead of the competition. Kawi triples were some of the first rounds fired in the HP wars that lead to the GPZ and the modern zx's you can buy today.

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/images/brochures/kaw_72_250_S1_broc.jpg

·
Registered
4,807 Posts

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
You have stumbled into a classic & prized 250. Take good care of it, as the mc world will likely never see it's kind again. It looks low-tech by modern standards, but when those bikes were new, they were light years ahead of the competition. Kawi triples were some of the first rounds fired in the HP wars that lead to the GPZ and the modern zx's you can buy today.

http://www.reproductiondecals.com/images/brochures/kaw_72_250_S1_broc.jpg
Man! You can say that again! I remember my best friend coming over on Christmas morning 1973 and giving me a ride on his new Mach III 500!:eek: That thing ate Triumphs,Hondas,Nortons,BSAs....nothing could touch it! Then the H2 and the Z1 900 made their debut, its no wonder they sell for more than a new Hardley these days! :wink:

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Man! You can say that again! I remember my best friend coming over on Christmas morning 1973 and giving me a ride on his new Mach III 500!:eek: That thing ate Triumphs,Hondas,Nortons,BSAs....nothing could touch it! ..:wink:
My neighbor had an orange 500 III. It was the fastest bike in the 'hood by a country mile. Made the yamwow rd350 look old and slow, and it was dripping w/ 70's "cool".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry if you don't think I am worthy of it, but I am only 18 and just starting out riding.

I got it all running, there is a leak on the fuel tank switch, need a new gasket I think. Also, after running it for a little bit I took it for a little ride, but noticed it bogs down a lot going up hills and won't go much over 40. Seems like it will die going up a hill, even after downshifting. I have had it cruising along at 50 so that is good ;)

Thanks guys, and again, sorry if you think I beat on it, cause I don't, the seals were fine.

I am thinking the fuel filter, maybe it is clogged, forgot about that, will get to it tomorrow.

Such a fun bike.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Do a leak down before you dismiss those seals as fine. Sounds like it is way underpowered for some reason.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if you think its running "ok" then you have no clue and will just burn the bike up. that bike at 7,000rpm will stand straight up and do 80mph as quick as any 600cc tupperware bike... there is NOTHING slow about these bikes...
it needs work but being you dont know these bikes you more than likely wont be able to work on it correctly.. sorry if you think im being a **** but you dont know what you where handed.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For some reason I am highly doubting that last post of yours. If it can stand up and go 80 ill be very surprised.

But hey, if it does, then awesome, instead of telling me I am not worthy, help me out. It isn't like I am just going to give it up because people like you say I can't do it, I plan on learning by doing it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts