Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on a bike in 20 years. Picked up a 1974 F11 on a whim a month ago. Literally a 2 minute decision. I just could not pass up a great deal on a fairly complete and running bike. Rode it around the neighborhood and it was like a time machine took me back to the 70's. I'm hooked. Picked up a repro manual from a guy in New Zealand. Fixing some minor things first. Will spend the coming winter taking down to the frame and starting a full restoration and rebuild. I look forward to tapping into the knowledge base on this board.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very nice, I was lucky enough to ride one of these shortly after introduction. Curious that Kawasaki abandoned the rotary valve but continued to use it thru 76 on the KX125.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Rotary valves were great right up until a bit of dirt and water made it past the air filter. If you looked after your bike and did not abuse it, they would last a long time. Unfortunately many of them did not survive. But I don't think the F11 pictured above uses a rotary valve.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No, it does not, which makes it somewhat of an oddity for a Kawasaki of that era. Agree, dirt was a problem, did not matter how careful one was dirt found its way past the gaskets and rubber cable seals. Still, KX125's and F7's in particular were superb machines. I raced a rotary valve KX125 and even when I got tired and failed to make a proper down shift the engine would continue to pull. Of course case reed induction ultimately did the same thing without the dirt issue. Of course early reed valves had the problem of metal fatigue and broken reeds. Such is the march of technology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a rotary valve. I haven't cracked the top end open yet but it does sound a bit like a axe head in a coffee can bouncing down a staircase. I'm sure it's fine....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great find! I spent a lot of time riding a Candy Lime one in the '70's. Started riding it when I could barely pick it up after a fall! I tried to find my original bike to no avail, so I bought a good resto candidate several years ago and have been collecting parts ever since. I have enough parts to build two complete ones. My hope/plan is to build two in each color available in '74: Candy Lime and Candy Yellow.

What part of the country do you live in? I live in the southeast U.S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great find! I spent a lot of time riding a Candy Lime one in the '70's. Started riding it when I could barely pick it up after a fall! I tried to find my original bike to no avail, so I bought a good resto candidate several years ago and have been collecting parts ever since. I have enough parts to build two complete ones. My hope/plan is to build two in each color available in '74: Candy Lime and Candy Yellow.

What part of the country do you live in? I live in the southeast U.S.
I am in North Idaho. You must be the guy buying the last of all the parts! :) I am slowly buying parts here and there. I did find a nice muffler form a guy in Georgia a few weeks ago. Not perfect but really nice and he gave me a great deal. Good luck with your bikes. A pair in each color would be pretty cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts