Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my cylinder to a machinist friend of mine and had it honed out.. said he took about 1 thousanth of an inch off so it should still work with stock piston. it measured 2.703" or 68.656mm that gives me 0.005" - 0.006" of clearance if i buy a 0.020" OS piston if I understand this correctly? is that too much? how should I go about doing this? should I buy a 0.04" OS piston and get the cylinder board out to tighter clearances? i pretty much know nothing about this and I'm having a really hard time finding an online service manual. thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds too loose to me. Are you measuring the piston on the skirt?
I actually didn't measure the piston until now I thought it would be 68 on the dot.. ended up being 68.35mm meaning id have 12 thousandths clearance with this piston. how on earth did it get that bad? not sure what to do now. luckily I didn't buy any parts yet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, first I would measure the cylinder in at least 6 places using a dial bore gage. From that data order the smallest piston that will fit after a rebore. Take piston and cylinder to a reliable shop and have them bore and fit the new piston.

I see ebay.ca has service manuals for as low as $44 right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, first I would measure the cylinder in at least 6 places using a dial bore gage. From that data order the smallest piston that will fit after a rebore. Take piston and cylinder to a reliable shop and have them bore and fit the new piston.

I see ebay.ca has service manuals for as low as $44 right now.
yes,that's what ill do. I know a machinist well that will do it for free. is there a specific place you guys get pistons? just looking at eBay its going to be probably $300+ for a piston, rings, wrist pin and needle bearing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If it were me, I would stick with OEM parts but there are some excellent third party suppliers out there also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts