Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. New here, and new owner of a '74 G5 100. Sat for 35 years, untouched, from 1987 to a few months ago.
Clean carb, new points and condenser, new clutch, and a lot of miscellaneous bits of TLC and it's been 200 miles reliable so far.

My issue comes in with the battery. I got one that fits from a local battery store, and when connected to the trickle charger in the garage, it takes a few hours and makes it to 100% just fine. However, when running it on the bike, it does not charge whatsoever, and I'm pretty lost.
I checked the resistance in the coils when I replaced the condenser and they were all almost 0, working perfectly. Has great spark and the headlight works just fine with the motor running. Just replaced the resistor/regulator and still not charging though.
Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

Worth noting that all of the light bulbs currently in it are at or near OEM/stock wattage, aside from the headlight, which is 35W instead of 25W. It doesn't charge even with the headlight off.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If all the wires traced back to the charging coil are fine, then you most likely need a new charging coil.
Haven't traced anything back that far yet but the coils were fine when I tested them replacing the condenser

·
Administrator
4,456 Posts
While the bike is idling, connect a volt meter to the the battery and tell us what voltage you are getting at idle. Then hold it at about half throttle and check your voltage again and tell us what voltage you are getting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coil testing is not definitive, it is only an indicator and does not positively rule out a bad coil.
Makes sense

While the bike is idling, connect a volt meter to the the battery and tell us what voltage you are getting at idle. Then hold it at about half throttle and check your voltage again and tell us what voltage you are getting.
Tried this already, voltage is the same with the engine off, at idle, and held above idle. Only time it changes it when exerting power like turning the lights on or hitting the horn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to be way more than just "above idle" to see if charging coil works. That's why I said to use half throttle.
I was a little vague but that's what I meant. Just above idle, half throttle, even at redline, it doesn't change the voltage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts