Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:
I am reassembling my F7-C after rebuilding the crankshaft & main bearings. While I had it torn apart, I was checking the gears and shift forks for wear, burrs, etc. Everything seems to be in pretty good shape.

The problem comes in reassembly of the Top gear (output) which is the 2nd gear in from the RH case on the output shaft. There are 3 ball bearings (5/32") installed in it. There are also 3 pockets bored along the shaft at 120deg. angles between the splines on the shaft.

When I disassembled the gear I didn't pay attention to how the Ball Bearings in the gear lined up with the pockets on the shaft. I am unsure if the 3 balls line up with the 3 pockets in the output shaft, or with the 3 splines without the pockets (rotate the gear 1 spline). I found that it will assemble either way, (with the balls lined up with the pockets in the shaft, or the balls lined up with the splines which don't have the pockets.)

I assumed that the BBs are supposed to float in the pockets, but before I seal the crankcase and trans. back up, I wanted to check if anyone else knew for sure.

The manual or part diagrams don't say specifically either way, just says in the manual that the purpose is to aid shifting into Neutral. I don't completely understand the function of the BBs which is part of the problem.

Appreciate any help or suggestions!!! :)

Thanks,
Mike

·
Vintage Owner
14 Posts
The steel balls are used as a neutral finder. They are held into the groove in gear by centrifugal force. When the bike stops they fall into grooves in the shaft and prevent you from shifting into second while at rest.
To assemble you have to have the gear on the shaft first and drop the balls in the hole in the gear. DO NOT USE GREASE on the balls to re-assemble as it may stop them from working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your quick and very clear response, Rapidoart!! Understanding the function makes it a lot clearer! Just so I understand, I slide the gear on the shaft with the small hole in the gear lined up with the slot on the shaft, and drop the balls in the larger holes on the outside of the gear?

I am so glad you mentioned not to use grease. That is how I started to assemble it!

·
Vintage Owner
14 Posts
Yes, that would be correct.
You could use a heavy gear oil to help them stick together, that should wash out once the bike is running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts