Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two bikes myself a recently purchased 2009 Yamaha 1300 Tourer and a 1980 Honda CX 500 Deluxe with a Vetter fairing that I have completely restored and modernized.

I have another employee at work that was given a Z1-B 900, it turns over and was said to run well but its severely corroded externally, the pipes have long lost all chrome, seat is history, it basically was put in storage and I think outside for the most part up here in Alaska, my friend knows I am a miracle worker when it comes to mechanics and my last project the CX 500 came out very nicely. He thinks I am his "buddy" and will basically work on his bike for next to nothing, I can tell it will require a modest amount of money to at the least clean it up, either re-chrome the pipes or paint them with hi-heat paint, it needs new grips, mirrors, seat recovered, new battery and will most likely need the tank Cremed as I can see rust in it.

I think I may just offer him a hundred or so for it or suggest he pay me my hourly going rate of $60 an hour to work on it.

Is this bike a collectible? From what I gather just cruising the net it supposedly is. And with a modern electronic ignition it is a real powerhouse.
At a stock 82 HP its almost on par with my 1300cc V-Star though I know its apples to tangerines here on that.

I feel like its worth a small investment as a piece of history like getting an old Corvette or a vintage musclecar, thoughts and opinions? There is really no limit to what I can do as a mechanic, I weld, paint, fabricate and can completely tear it all down and replace anything so I'm not intimidated by anything, I just don't want to waste my money if its not all that great of a bike.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
All of the Z1's (73-75) are considered collectibles and highly sought after. Even the ones in poor shape seem to bring in a good price. Just check out some of the sales on ebay if you want to get an idea of what they are worth in a variety of conditions. Even when parted out they seem to bring in big $$$ as I've seen things like side covers go for some crazy prices.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed that some that are absolutely restored are nearing 10K USD, seems kinda weird as I don't see what all the fuss is about, sure its a DOHC 4 cylinder engine but everything else is old school, I would not ride it over 65 yet I hear it can go twice that, thats crazy. Course then again it just may be me.

My 1980 Honda CX 500 was considered high tech for its time period, CDI ignition, electric start, water cooled and shaft drive, plus its a flying V design, but whats it worth? Not a whole lot actually, even completely restored and upgraded in certain areas it not going to get over $3,000.

I will go ahead and try to convince him that it would have a better home under my care, he has no idea of what it needs nor the expertise, I'm no expert on bikes but I am a diesel mechanic with over three decades of working on them, cars, boats, snowmachines and almost anything else. My offer will be I work on it but will hold the title, if he cannot pay what my time and parts are it will be mine, I will try to just buy it outright first though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As has been mentioned by StarGate, the Z1B is a collectible...and actually, the bar has been set for a 1973 Z1 in absolute mint condition at slightly more than US$24,000... that said, it is also very expensive to restore Z1's. To give you an idea, I have a 1975 Z2A (which was the Japanese version of the Z1 and only released in Japan). It is very similar to the Z1 and many parts will interchange. I am begininng a restoration and I estimate that it'll cost about US$7000 to do it correctly (that's parts, not labor)...it'd be cheaper to just get it running, but I'd merely have a ratty Z2 then. I'll never recoup my costs if I sell the bike in North America as no one knows what it is...but if I advertised in Japan, that's another matter. So, to get the Z1B running well will be an investment...to restore it would be a serious investment.

·
Crazed Zed-head
2,076 Posts
My 1980 Honda CX 500 was considered high tech for its time period, CDI ignition, electric start, water cooled and shaft drive, plus its a flying V design, but whats it worth? Not a whole lot actually, even completely restored and upgraded in certain areas it not going to get over $3,000.
There is a sense of passion associated with the Z-1 which was never true for the CX series.

Z-1 fanatics (and SOHC Honda fanatics, although not to the same degree) in Japan are just as rabid about their bikes as Knuckle, Pan, and Shovel fanatics are over here. There is some national pride mixed in as well, these bikes put the Japanese bike manufacturers on the map.

If you really don't want the bike, just get it cleaned up and running, then advertise on CL. Some exporter will take it off your hands for you.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
I have noticed that some that are absolutely restored are nearing 10K USD, seems kinda weird as I don't see what all the fuss is about, sure its a DOHC 4 cylinder engine but everything else is old school, I would not ride it over 65 yet I hear it can go twice that, thats crazy. Course then again it just may be me.
I think once you got it running right you would not think twice about going over 65...I am guessing it will be much quicker than your 1300 cruiser...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I offered the guy $200 for it and he is willing to sell it, BUT...he absolutely wants to buy it back later on. I'm just going to wait him out, I know this sounds brutal but he is hardly getting any hours and we work a seasonal job, my case is different as I have about two months of work lined up to repair some fire damage we had two months ago, its a concrete batch plant, I pretty much built the place over the last 14 years. He is on call as a driver.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I may pass on this one unless I get it cheap, I would rather have something a bit more modern. I'd like to have a real high performance sport bike next but something I can also get parts for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Like Jeff said there is plenty of parts both new and used out there to keep them up. As far as 65 mph that is just putting. Many years back (1977) I had an old model Honda 750 that I got to 137 mph. I would think that this old KZ of mine should get there, but I don't treat them that hard anymore. I used to be real stupid (still am) and used to ride my bikes backwards. Actually got up to 90 mph sitting backwards on an old Honda 500 4cylinder. Boy I did some stupid things way back when, but that is a whole different story.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
I use to ride my bicycle backwards but never was bold or stupid enough to try it on a motorcycle. I did stand straight up on the seat with my arms stretched out to both sides at 60mph once, but it was a one time thing never to be repeated by me. :lol: I guess most of us can remember at least one stupid thing we did when we were young and thought we were bullet proof.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah I still ride my bicycle backwards with no hands, using my butt to steer the handlebars. I can sit on the seat or handlebars. I could and can ride all my motorcycles backwards, but I could actually turn around backwards while going forward on the old 500 Honda. Their is a game warden out there that can testify to that, but he didn't get my name as he never caught up to me. A guy brought one of those ripsticks (2 wheel skateboard) to the shop today and their I was riding that thing like a kid (50 year old) again. I am a lucky man to actually be here today with all the stupid stuff I have done in my life, the man upstairs has kept a good eye on me for sure. Don't do the wild stuff anymore as my family counts on me. Actually got to put my cylinder and head back on my bike tomorrow or Saturday so I can go riding some more. Just got head back from getting a valve job and a fresh set of std. rings thanks to Z1 Enterprises.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, I live here in Alaska, and can give that girl (KZ 9) a good home... would you be willing to give your "friend" my contact info? I'd hate to hear of a "Z" rusting away, when I could've adopted her. I'd even be willing to go thru an adoption agency (you) for a small fee.

*parts can be had, but the shipping (3x what others pay) here to Alaska is what's gonna kill ya... you have to "love" old KZ's (like me), or it's just not worth it!

Let me know... send a private message :)

Tony

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in the Wasilla area, our concrete plant is shut down for the season, he still has the bike sitting there along with my Honda, my Yamaha is at home inside the house.

I have not seen the other guy in over a month, I may head back to the shop this week and try getting it to start. He knows what its worth and he is no dummy, he just thinks I can be his "buddy" and "help" him "fix" his "bike".

I really hate people trying to use me like that, but I have an advantage over him, I have seniority over him and have told him in direct terms his driving skills with a concrete mixer are sub par and since I hire the drivers I can also fire them.

Myself I think the bike will stay in limbo, he is no mechanic, with no tools, I have all the skills and tools and even some funds. It will be a waiting game.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the Wasilla area, our concrete plant is shut down for the season, he still has the bike sitting there along with my Honda, my Yamaha is at home inside the house.

I have not seen the other guy in over a month, I may head back to the shop this week and try getting it to start. He knows what its worth and he is no dummy, he just thinks I can be his "buddy" and "help" him "fix" his "bike".

I really hate people trying to use me like that, but I have an advantage over him, I have seniority over him and have told him in direct terms his driving skills with a concrete mixer are sub par and since I hire the drivers I can also fire them.

Myself I think the bike will stay in limbo, he is no mechanic, with no tools, I have all the skills and tools and even some funds. It will be a waiting game.
Well, kep me in mind... :D

I'm in Seward, and we're in the same age group, so I think we'd make good riding partners (I have other bikes) In the summer, I'd like to do a ride north of you, as I've been in AK. twenty years, and have yet to see Danali up close.
Tony

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do not really understand why z1 bikes command a higher price then other kz bikes that are in as good of condition. I did sell my old 79 kz1000 drag bike though for a bit over $3000. I doubt I would get that much again for it considering these times. That was a really nice bike though with upgrades. Condition and mileage really factor in and a lot of the z1s are really restored nicely. Look at this z1 on ebay that is going for over 5k.

Kawasaki : z1 : eBay Motors (item 200427277641 end time Jan-18-10 15:40:40 PST)

I don't see how that bike is worth 5k let alone worth more than than the 3500 I sold my 79 ltd with 29mm smoothbores. But to each their own I guess.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.