Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased a 76 Kawasaki KV-100 A7. I'm new to motorcycles entirely but I need to get a full rebuild done on the motor. I'm very much so mechanically inclined to do it myself but where would you reccomend buying parts? Ideally a whole rebuild kit if possible. I've been having a tough time searching and I'm not sure what years have interchangeable parts.

Any info is appreciated! Thank you!!

·
Administrator
4,860 Posts
I always try to buy all of my parts from my local Kawasaki dealer, even it it cost a couple of bucks extra. But what I have found is that since the dealer does not charge for shipping, many of their parts end up being cheaper than any other source of OEM Kawasaki parts.

Once they get to know you, they will likely go out of their way to help you.

I avoid the cheap, knock-off parts from places like China. I am not aware of any rebuild kits, but you are better off buying only the parts you need anyway.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Kawasaki dot com & Partzilla have diagrams. partzilla is easier to use & has a cross-reference. If you need something that is NLA or the Kaw dealer doesn't have it, next best place to check is EB (e bay). Sometimes you can find NOS there.

Later on down the road. Z1Enterprises dot com probably doesn't list your motorcycle but may have some items you may need, such as wheel bearings or wire & electrical connectors. CycleTerminal & VintageConnections have electrical stuff.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased a 76 Kawasaki KV-100 A7. I'm new to motorcycles entirely but I need to get a full rebuild done on the motor. I'm very much so mechanically inclined to do it myself but where would you reccomend buying parts? Ideally a whole rebuild kit if possible. I've been having a tough time searching and I'm not sure what years have interchangeable parts.

Any info is appreciated! Thank you!!
As others have listed. Partzilla or similar outfit that sells OEM parts is fine. They all operate similarly as in they just place orders through Kawasaki for the parts that are still available and drop ship usually. The key words here are still available. Part numbers that are un-available or obsolete you will have to go to places like ebay and do a part number search for a seller that has NOS or used. This is going very part dependent.

Now when you say "rebuild kit" there is really no such thing for most bikes. I am making a general statement here, but typically anything older than 1990 there isn't much aftermarket support. What I am trying to say is you are going to have to compile your own "kit" by searching for each part you may need individually. Things like gaskets, seals and such there can be aftermarket NOS versions, which are fine. The internal wear parts are sometimes the most challenging as NOS OEM parts are usually the only option as the aftermarket didn't really support these smaller trail bikes, they focused on more the race/motocross bikes of this era. Specifically to your KV100 you will have to do some searching on individual parts, using Partzilla (or similar) ect... as a guide.

The good news is the KV100 shares a lot of internal parts with other 80, 90, 100 cc bikes that preceded it. The used and NOS market will be plentiful for some parts. It will be the body/cosmetic parts that are always a challenge as the KV100 was very much a disposable bike even when new. But that just depends on your level of "restoration" you seek.

First thing before buying ANY parts is to evaluate what you have. I have plenty of videos about the entire restoration process and what to do and look for along the way. Lots of little nuggets of information about what and what not to buy.

Motorcycle Restoration HOW-TO series

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kawasaki dot com & Partzilla have diagrams. partzilla is easier to use & has a cross-reference. If you need something that is NLA or the Kaw dealer doesn't have it, next best place to check is EB (e bay). Sometimes you can find NOS there.

Later on down the road. Z1Enterprises dot com probably doesn't list your motorcycle but may have some items you may need, such as wheel bearings or wire & electrical connectors. CycleTerminal & VintageConnections have electrical stuff.
You may also try CMS they have helped me several times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts