Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tore my top end apart and I honed the cylinders, sent head off to Florida for a valve job. Cylinder looked good with original bore and supposed to be 8000 original miles. Machinist said looks like #4 intake valve is burnt. Tune was way off when I got it, carb holders were sucking air. I did do a Dyna S ignition with the 3 ohm coils, also put a new 1.75 competition baffle instead of the 1.25. Old baffle was cut off and had no packing. Really didn't have enough back pressure on it. Pistons look new with only carbon on the tops. Should take about a week turnaround on the valvejob. Already have all new parts including standard rings and all gaskets and rubbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The carbs are stock VM26SS w/118 jets. Running air pods (Emgo). Header is a Vance and Hines which I think follows the frame and engine perfectly. Frame, headlight bucket, taillight bracket, seat pan, and gauge pods have been powdercoated. Fenders, brake pedal, etc., have been rechromed. Lots of nuts and bolts rezinced. Hubs, engine covers, and lower forks have been polished. New tires, stainless steel spokes, new stitched seat cover. Paint is basecoat clearcoat with stripes painted on also. Gas tank looks brand new inside with no rust and no coating.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those carbs look really nice, I gotta say. And the black powdercoating is beautiful. I got my kickstand powdercoated by J&J Powdercoating in Zion for cheap because they used to get lunch from where I worked. Love the look of it. Seeing how nice yours looks makes me want to get the whole frame done now too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought it with the paint and powdercoating already done. The only thing I have done is the tune, carb holders, Dyna S and coils, repowered coils, set valves, sync'd carbs, 1.75 competition baffle, repolished aluminum parts. Now I tore the topend down to freshen and make it right. Header was new, chain and sprockets, stem bearings, etc.. All the cosmetics were done right and the previous owner put a head gasket and valve seals. Top end just wasn't right so apart it came. I have had the carbs off and on about 3 times and have done a bunch of carbs on bikes, cars, lawn equipment, etc.. I am probably going to send these carbs off for ultrasonic cleaning. Carb tops and bowls have been polished a little bit. I put about 600 miles on it before the teardown. Thanks for the compliments and I wish you all the best with your bikes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just didn't want to take the credit for all the cosmetic work is all. Just spending some cash now and a little time and elbow grease to finish it up. Parts are cleaned, put new rings on pistons this morning and wrapped everything back up until head comes back in probably about two weeks total. I have probably owned about 25 bikes, one being a green 1976 KZ900 about 25 years back. Owned a lot of old model Honda 750-K's. Had a nice Harley FXDWG before this one and a 1976 Honda 750 - K6 before that one. Used to build some nice old model Nova's (1968-72). This bike was originally green also, so it's not a correct resto. I don't care about so much correct as I want it to be clean. Don't usually keep them for more than 6 months, but I think I will shove this one back in the garage when I get tired of it, and just bring it out when I feel like riding a bit or in spring and summer time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.