Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a spark, it’s timed dead on but fuel Is not being sucked down from tank.
starts on start fluid… side draft carb
sat for 30 years… has 400 miles on it…
carb is clean …
im missing something

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Pull the line off the petcock and make sure you have good flow from petcock. Then pull line off carb and make sure you have flow there. If you have these flows then you have a problem inside the carb. Check float valve and float height.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is no suck, this is a gravity system. If you pull the line at the carb and there is no flow, first remove the gas cap, still no flow you will need to remove the petcock. Inspect, there are stand pipes with very fine mesh screens. Are they plugged? Probably the most misunderstood system in the history of motorcycles is the enricher circuit. These motorcycles have no choke, they have a dedicated enricher circuitl IF petcock flow is verified, if carb is clean, if float level is correct one must understand the function of the enricher circuit. Regardless of how it is labeled, when the enricher circuit is enabled a separate circuit is engaged that introduces raw fuel ahead of the slide. This function relies on a negative pressure in front of the slide. These motorcycles have no accelerator pump so twisting the throttle repeatedly does nothing. However if due to other issues the throttle idle stop was screwed in, or the throttle cable was mis adjusted resulting in the slide hanging from the cable or if the operator opens the throttle when cranking the vacuum ahead of the slide will be destroyed and a likely no start will occur. An enricher is not a choke. Be sure it is adjusted properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the line off the petcock and make sure you have good flow from petcock. Then pull line off carb and make sure you have flow there. If you have these flows then you have a problem inside the carb. Check float valve and float height.
I have never worked on a side draft carb. Please tell me does the fuel attach where it is or the open hole to the right of it ??? If it’s not the left one then no wonder I wasn’t getting fuel in the bowl….,

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts