Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Having issues with my clutch, it seems to work fine switches gears BUT... the clutch handle is very hard to squeeze to shift. I replaced the old one that I could not even get to move with a new one, seems to move a little better but still hard to move. Tried everything I could think of doing to make it easier to squeeze. Does any one have any suggestions ???
I can take the cover off and it real easy to pull in, once it's on the bike it's a different story.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
That may be what you intended to write but what you said was "the clutch handle is very hard to squeeze to shift. I replaced the old one..." Nowhere in your post does it mention the word cable, so a reader assumes you replaced the clutch handle.

Ok, so we now know you have a brand new cable. When did this problem start? Was any work done on the clutch?
By providing as much information as you can, we can resolve this issue much faster. Photos can also help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, your right ... my bad sorry...
Yes I did replace the cable with a new one.
I bought the bike this way and than put a new cable on it LOL... I got it to where I can move the clutch handle but it is still very hard to squeeze. I did notice when I replaced it some of the threads on the perch lever are stripped out, that could be part of the issue.

·
Registered
806 Posts
..if by 'perch' you mean the rod that goes into the clutch cover, then I'd think stripping would help it to slip on pivot, not getting harder.

...........would you know if somebody installed heavy dury springs?? What mainly opposes your squeeze is of course the springs, ...and then some very minor friction on lever pivots, cable, and clutch pin engagement.....if something is not broken inside the clutch per se.(like a broken springs jamming the action).

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
I agree that third party clutch springs that are too stiff could be the problem.
It also could be faulty re-assembly of the clutch, or clutch release mechanism or an incorrectly adjusted clutch.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It could also be the clutch actuator in the front sprocket cover or theoretically the clutch push rod.

My guess is that it’s either the wrong clutch springs as already mentioned or the inner clutch basket is being prevented from moving outwards by the engine cover for some reason.

You’ve mentioned that it’s free when the engine casing is off, perhaps the whole basket is sitting further out than it should be due to incorrect reassembly at some point.

·
Registered
273 Posts
..if by 'perch' you mean the rod that goes into the clutch cover, then I'd think stripping would help it to slip on pivot, not getting.
The clutch perch is the handlebar mounting fit the clutch lever, the threads are for cable adjustment. Maybe that’s a UK name and you call it something different over there?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everybody, I will start tearing to it next week when I get time. Or I just might sell it.....

·
Registered
806 Posts
The clutch perch is the handlebar mounting fit the clutch lever, the threads are for cable adjustment. Maybe that’s a UK name and you call it something different over there?
Thanks David.

Now I understand. ...and yes, I'd say with cable replaced, and lever moving freely...if issue persists, it is time to inspect the clutch parts inside, from the push rod on.

·
Registered
806 Posts
thanks everybody, I will start tearing to it next week when I get time. Or I just might sell it.....
It may look daunting if you never done it, ...but the wet clutch on a transversally mounted engine, is one of the easiest things to work on....it is so accessible. Other than needing impact gun for inner basket (if you need to)................. Replacing the cable is about the hardest thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No problem.

Sometimes it’s hard to believe we speak the same language!
Let me chime in for what it is worth. Sometimes the clutch plates will 'eat/wear' into the clutch basket & cause undo friction. Inspect where the clutch plates contact the basket & see if it is grooved, if so, remove the plates & take a stone & smooth the basket in the grooved areas. The basket is aluminum & the plates are harder than the basket material, especially where the contact is made.
Just my (2) cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts