Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering it someone can help me out. I am trying to start a 77' KZ650 B1 that has been sitting for the last 6 years and wasn't stored properly. I have cleaned the carbs and checked fuel lines and all my sparks are firing as well but when I try to kick it over the engine starts with the choke on for about 5-10sec and then shuts down, if I try to go to throttle and take off the choke it dies instantly.

If anyone has some things I could try that would be great. I am a new bike owner and don't have a lot of mechanical experience but am willing to try things to a certain level.
Thanks
G

·
Registered
522 Posts
It sounds like a blocked pilot-system so they can't come off choke onto the jet-circuits. Are the pilot-screw open at least 1 1/2 turns.

When you cleaned the carbs did you soak them or use a spray carb-cleaner then blow them through with an airline? The drillings can be a right pain to get clean, a good soak then compressed air though the air-jets, jets and all orifices with removable jets, float and float-needle, pilot-screws (with spring, washer and o-ring) and slide/needle out.

Might be something dead simple mind like the tickover screw needing turning up a tad. This is the big, knurled/serrated screw (on top and facing backwards i think) in the middle of the bank.

If everything is clean and clear then you need to look at the fuel-level, could be the float is too low and not allowing enough fuel into the carbs. I'll try to dig some figures out for settings if you get to this stage :)

Keep in touch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts