Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was being ridden and the kick starter came around and hit the passenger in the shin, about broke her leg. I'm looking at it for a friend.

I have the clutch pack out, up to the basket. it looks like the basket will not come out through the opening. I suspect a spring is broken on the kick starter or the pawl. If I turn the output shaft the kick start shaft also turns, but only for about half a revolution.

I would be fine with just removing the kick starter and make it inop. It looks like I have to split the case to do this by the manual unless somebody has a trick. I seem to remember these being problematic, but I have been into Hondas for the last 10 years.

Any help, advice would be appreciated. Calling my Kawi dealer tomorrow. Not sure I want to tackle this in early summer, maybe a winter project. I've never pulled an engine in a bike before, but I guess there is always a first time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After consulting the parts fiche, manual, and talking to the local dealer, it looks like I am pulling the engine and splitting the cases. When I told the dealer what I was doing he said WHY?????

Initially, he was pretty confident that I could pull the clutch basket out the opening and get at it from there, but after he looked in the service manual he got back to me and told me you do have to split the cases. He again told me to just junk it, but I have a thing for old bikes I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts