Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm an italian owner of a 1976 kz900.

I'm having some troubles with low speed cruising, so it seems to be a pilot system issue.

But, having a closer look to the carbs, i found out they are not the stock carbs.
Why? they don't have the air/fuel mixture screw on the side of each carb!

They are mikuni, they fit, so i had a look to some diagrams and it seems to be they are stock vm26ss carbs from a 1977 kz1000a1.

Those carbs have the pilot screw under the float bowl, but not the air/fuel mixture on the side of the carb!

1) Could someone confirm my opinion?
2) How is it supposed to tune up the air/fuel mixture on these carbs?

I also have another 1976 kz900 and it's carbs have the air/fuel screw, so they are probably vm28ss stock.
I also have a 1977 kz650b1 and they have vm26ss stock carbs, and they have both pilot screw adjustment screw under the float bowl and the air/fuel mixture sdjustment screw on the side of the carbs.

Could someone answer my two questions above?

I could use a kz1000a1 service manual, so i could clear my doubts.
Looked on internet, nothing to download. Looked on ebay, impossible to find at a reasonable price.

I need help!

Many thanks to everyone

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lucky man to have a classic KZ900. You should be able to get the bike to work well with the Mikuni carbs. Also, the lack of an idle air screw may mean that these are the tamper proof EPA carbs. I think you can pry off the small circular caps to get at the screws. But I'm just guessing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.