Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I picked up a 1977 kz400 the other day for $170. It is kick start only, but still requires a battery with full charge to run. I was told by the previous owner that his friend tried hooking up a rather large 12v battery to the bike, and he fried the power and ground wires going to the rectifier. I purchased a new battery for it, and replaced the burnt wires. The copper on the wires weren't burnt, just cooked the insulated covering. The bike started up and ran surprisingly well. Idled great. I put about a 100 miles on the bike and it left me stranded with a dead battery. Do these bikes use a combination rectifier/regulator? How can i test this? Also, the bike just doesn't seem to have the power (due to the rectifier?). Now, I know its only a 400, but i would think it would have more top end power. Maxed out, on level ground, she'll barely do 70mph. Any help is appreciated! Thanks Also, I went through the the carbs and cleaned the jets out, but it looked like the carb was cleaned recently.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty confident the rectifier is shorted. But would that make the bike run like crap? I went to The kawasaki twin owners forum and found the "blown rectifier- cheaper solution!". Looks fairly simple to complete. I'll go to the salvage yard today to try and find that type of alternator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The loss of top end could be due to the fact that the system is not providing you enough current to fire at the higher RPM's, as it would if it was properly generating it's own charge. Have you run the bike with a voltmeter hooked up to the battery to make sure the charging system is functioning properly - without it I doubt the battery will have enough juice to support higher RPM performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out both the Diaphragms had a nice 1 inch tear in them. I found some German replacements. $70 for the pair. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts