Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gifted a bike w/20K miles on it in pretty good shape, I haven't been on a bike in 15 years, it all came back to me. What a cool rush zipping around, a real sense of freedom - Driving my SUV sucks now.

Had to replace a tach cable, master cylindar for the front brake. Next on the list is a tiny fuel leak around the fuel switch, perhaps the piece under it needs replacing. It's amazing how much one can tinker with the bike oneself(with the manuals and a dealer that sells Kawi parts)! There is also a minor oil leak, but I was told to leave well enough alone but.... they probably would rather sell me a new bike - maybe next year if I can still fit biking into my life, but it'd be nice to plug up the holes. Did I say it was free?

It also feels only slightly wobbly when cruising, maybe that is normal for such an old bike - so I will be comparing it to a 750 my dad has this weekend. Any words of wisdom from the board?

Good to be here.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Checking around the petcock for leaks, you need to look for it leaking at the tank (maybe the rubber seal is gone) or if it is leaking down the middle of the petcock, you need a rebuild kit (CDN$12.50).

The 650 is an excellent engine. If you haven't done this make sure the oil and oil/air filter and plugs are new. If you have a wobble, get the tires checked right away esp. if the bike has sat. Check the steering head bearings and the swing arm bearings and the fork oil /air pressure. All these can contribute to a wobble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaks and wobbles.

Thanks for the advice, and opinion about the engine. I'd like to see it last after putting time and money into it. It looks cool too. Master Cylindar set me back $180.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
1977kz650B,

I just put my KZ750N Spectre back on the road after sitting for 15 years in this persons garage....

Make sure that you check the gas tank...if it has been sitting with gas in it there could be rust....we installed in inline gas filter to help keep the carbs from getting dirty..after thoroughly cleaning the gas tank out. Cleaned the carbs and installed new fuel lines, brake and clutch cables.

My bike had a small oil leak in the top of the engine where the fins are, but my mechanic told me to would probably seal itself up when I started riding it...It Did!!!! The engine sounded like it had a valve tap, but it all cleared up after getting the carbs fine tuned and calibrated.

She runs like a scared rabbit now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun fixing yours up

Heather

1 - 4 of 4 Posts