Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right forum. I inherited a 1977 Kawasaki Z1000 due to a death in the family. The bike is in excellent condition. As I am not a biker, would anyone have an idea how much the bike could be worth. Thanks
IMG_0186.JPG

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
That motorcycle appears to be in excellent condition. An early KZ1000 won't be as valuable as the earlier Z1 900s, but it still could be worth more than a few thousand. I don't know what that 1000 is worth, but pristine, all original Z1s go for as much as $20k to $25k. A 1000 would be significantly less. If you decide to wait until spring, you should drain the old fuel, refill with fresh fuel & add a good stabilizer. If your gasoline has ethanol, then get a suitable stabilizer for gasoline blended w ethanol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To me, it looks a bit of a mish-mash but I could be wrong.

The panels say Z1000 but the bars and tank look US spec (KZ1000) and only the early 900s had four into four exhausts.

That said, it’s in amazing condition and over here in the UK, I’d expect it to fetch at least £12k, probably closer to £15k.

Edit: Having looked at other Z1000s for sale on uk eBay, the tank and bars look correct. Prices range from £5,500 to £13,500 and looking at the pictures, I’d expect this to be towards the top end of the range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great looking machine. I am sure that the K1000 originally came with a 4 into 2 exhaust system. The 4 into 4 system was reserved for the Z1 and Z1B. I am sure that any new owner would prefer the setup as pictured.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice looking KZ-1000 however it does have some issues. Obviously the exhaust isn't appropriate to the year, but it would be interesting to find out if the exhaust is an OEM take-off from an earlier 900 or is it a repo system. If it is OEM then exhaust would be the gold mine on this bike. I can't tell for sure from the picture, but the sidecover emblem should say KZ1000. Can't quite understand why it only has one mirror, but who knows? The front brake system certainly doesn't look stock at least in my part of the world. The brake lines appear to run directly into the caliper somewhat like a later style system and the calipers are behind the forks not in front. And the front rotors may not be appropriate to the year. Someone changed a few things there. It also looks like someone installed carb pods on the bike and the front directional stems look like short aftermarket items, but once again hard to tell from the pictures. Also the rear shocks have been changed out at some point. Someone took a lot of time polishing or chrome plating several engine pieces including the front mounting brackets.

I am in the process of restoring a US '77 KZ-1000A1 and it is difficult to give a real close idea of what one of these is worth from just one picture. As is here in the USA to the right person it may be worth $5,000.00. To a person looking to restore or refurbish it back to original condition, less than $5K. Without batting an eye I see at least $1K to $2K needed to restore it back to showroom condition and even that may not be enough if the engine/trans needs work. I paid $6,500.00 for what I thought was a pretty decent motorcycle, but I was wrong. Lets just say I was taken for a ride. I have almost as much into repairing the bike as the purchase price and I haven't touched the paint yet or the frame. The sad truth is I looked at a bunch of pictures of my '77 before I bought it from a character 2000 miles away and it looked like a really nice bike. In the future I would only recommend that you go see the bike, look for little details wrong with it, then take it for a ride. Look for things like messed up screw heads, oil leaks or pry marks between the engine case and cylinder block. Is the engine stock or has it been bored out? Even if you think the bike is in good shape after riding it you will really never know the true condition until you take it apart. So even if one were to tell me the bike is pristine I wouldn't believe it for a second until I got inside the motor. Right now I have almost $3K just in engine work and parts for it. In my estimation at this stage the heads on the old Kawasakis are the big issue. They are prone to developing cracks and such and there is no way to see it from outside the bike. Buying these bikes is not for the faint of heart anymore and unfortunately even the sellers don't know what may be wrong with them.
Rick H.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts