Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 1978 Kawasaki kl250 that I got for free it sat in the woods for about 10 years. After 3 months of working on it I got running and it ran great then I took it out for a test drive and it died, so I took off the spark plug and it had no compression so I took off the head and cylinder and found out the intake valve wasn’t closing so I fixed it out the head back on and it started and ran great then I turned it off to see if it would start again and it wouldn’t, it still
Has great compression and spark and gets plenty of fuel, any ideas why it won’t start?

thanks in advance:)

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Check the ignition points gap. If there was any rust on the points cam, the rust acts like sandpaper and this will change your points gap which changes your timing. If this is case, you should polish off the rust, set the gap, check the timing and oil the felt wiper that keeps the cam lubricated. Not too much oil though as you don't want oil on your points.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the ignition points gap. If there was any rust on the points cam, the rust acts like sandpaper and this will change your points gap which changes your timing. If this is case, you should polish off the rust, set the gap, check the timing and oil the felt wiper that keeps the cam lubricated. Not too much oil though as you don't want oil on your points.
Thanks for that I took off the head and checked the valves and everything and then fixed the timing and cleaned the ignition points and it fired right up and ran great! Now it won’t rev but I’m pretty sure it’s a carb problem now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts