Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a 1978 Kawasaki KZ 750 for very cheap and I have begun to rebuild it. after rebuilding the tank and the carbs it runs and it able to be driven, but its still rough. when reved high it gets really high pitched, revs quickly, and sounds like crap, and i think that this means that the valves need to be adjusted. Does anyone know the intake and exhuast vavle tolerances or has a manual available? this would really help. also if you think that the valves are not the issue here let me know.

also the spedo and tach lights arnt working and I am wondeing what it takes to get thoes working.

I have worked on motorcycles and jetskis before so I know my way around an engine, but is there anything I need to know that is important or specific to this model? Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will that have the same valve tolerance as my bike?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
If they don't have it, go to Z1enterprises.com. They have manuals there.
Fiche can be found at motogrid.com. No clearances, but excellent diagrams.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone have an idea if that is the correct diagonistic, and of the valve clearence?

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I'm not a working, paid mechanic, but it may be valves, make be intake boots. Valve clearance for my 1980 KZ750 is .08-.18mm. Don't know if it's the same for a 1978.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
possible you need to adjust cam chain tension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I got a manual and I am sure I can figure out how to adjust the cam tension (unless it is really different), but I am kinda confused about adjusting valves, what is the shim and what do you do with it?

I have adjusted the valves on a ninja 250 and all I had to do was measure and adjust a set screw. is this one alot harder?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Not sure if you have shim over or under bucket but for you're sake I hope it's over. The shims are just round disk of hardened metal that come in assorted thickness. You swap out the disk to get the clearance that you need. Here is an example of shim over bucket with the shim being the top item (92025/ A-X) in the diagram.

P.S. The shims come in a variety of diameters too, so be sure you buy the right size for your bike if you do go in search of new ones.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Not sure if you have shim over or under bucket but for you're sake I hope it's over. The shims are just round disk of hardened metal that come in assorted thickness. You swap out the disk to get the clearance that you need. Here is an example of shim over bucket with the shim being the top item (92025/ A-X) in the diagram.

P.S. The shims come in a variety of diameters too, so be sure you buy the right size for your bike if you do go in search of new ones.
The B model 750 twins use the infamous 29 mm shims which are no longer available ANYWHERE from anybody. Z1 has a few sizes of them they found (used shims). I actually had the machine shop cut the new valves and seats to make sure the valve height matched those specific shims. If not... I would have been screwed.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I recently aquired a 1978 Kawasaki KZ 750 for very cheap and I have begun to rebuild it. after rebuilding the tank and the carbs it runs and it able to be driven, but its still rough. when reved high it gets really high pitched, revs quickly, and sounds like crap, and i think that this means that the valves need to be adjusted. Does anyone know the intake and exhuast vavle tolerances or has a manual available?
It is .002" - .004" clearance range for both intake and exhaust.

also if you think that the valves are not the issue here let me know.
Hard to know.

also the spedo and tach lights arnt working and I am wondeing what it takes to get thoes working.
They have small bulbs inside the housings that are notorious for burning out.

I have worked on motorcycles and jetskis before so I know my way around an engine, but is there anything I need to know that is important or specific to this model? Thanks again.
There is so much unique characteristics in the engine you really need a factory shop manual to work on it if you need to do any significant repairs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts