Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1979 KZ1000C Police Special with 32k miles on it. The cam chain is making a lot of noise, and the automatic tensioner doesn't seem able to tighten it. I don't know, maybe the internals of the tensioner have frozen up over time. However, I've heard that it's best to replace the accident-prone automatic tensioner with an aftermarket manual tensioner. My questions are:

1. Is there one brand/model of manual tensioner out there that is better than the rest?

2. Is the installation of a manual tensioner as simple as removing the old tensioner, and bolting on the new one?

3. How do I determine the correct tension with a manual tensioner (or should I have a mechanic adjust it)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 1979 KZ1000C Police Special with 32k miles on it. The cam chain is making a lot of noise, and the automatic tensioner doesn't seem able to tighten it. I don't know, maybe the internals of the tensioner have frozen up over time. However, I've heard that it's best to replace the accident-prone automatic tensioner with an aftermarket manual tensioner. My questions are:

1. Is there one brand/model of manual tensioner out there that is better than the rest?

2. Is the installation of a manual tensioner as simple as removing the old tensioner, and bolting on the new one?

3. How do I determine the correct tension with a manual tensioner (or should I have a mechanic adjust it)?
Came accross your May posting. I have the same model/year bike. Same symptoms. Just wanted to know if you solved the problem. Was it the chain tensioner or replacement of the the entire chain?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts