Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am returning a 1979 KZ650D from pods back to the original air box. I can't seem to locate where the vacuum hoses from the air valve go on the carburetors. The diagrams aren't clear enough. If someone has a picture or knows where they go I would really appreciate it. I have cleaned the carbs and they run great just to let you know I am serious here. Also I have installed the air box, and should have the air valve tommorrow.
Thanks.

HDD

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I can't help ya with the vacuum hose routing but there are plenty here who prolly can. I can, though, welcome you to the forum - this is great place to learn a lot about your bike :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't help ya with the vacuum hose routing but there are plenty here who prolly can. I can, though, welcome you to the forum - this is great place to learn a lot about your bike :)

Thanks for the welcome, I have located the vacuum ports, just installed the air valve and all hoses. The bike is now running on original air box.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still needs some carb adjusting. I have to find out if the carbs were jetted
by the original owner. Lot of work to pull the carbs off and check, but hey
thats all the fun right.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
If the pod work was done properly, the jets would have been changed.

The air valve vacuum lines connect to the synchronizer ports on the 1 and 4 cylinder intake ducts. It sounds like you figured that out.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI, Nate

Thanks for the response, The diagram I had said they "connect to the carb holders" they had caps on them and sure enough that was the only place the hoses could go. The bike is really pulling air with the original box and
air valve connected, It's not responding real well out of first gear, thats what got me thinking the carbs were indeed jetted for the pods. I am still glad I made the switch though. Can a person adjust the needle valve by removing the gas tank only and removing the tops o the carbs?

She's not much to look at yet, The original owner removed all the kawasaki emblems and painted it greeeeeeen. ouch.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
The air valve isn't really needed. Most people will take a short length of hose and connect it between the ports on the top of the head and cap off the ports on the carb holders. Left to do is blocking off the port in the air box where the supply hose slides into. Unless it would be subject to emissions testing, most people are happy without the air valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The air valve isn't really needed. Most people will take a short length of hose and connect it between the ports on the top of the head and cap off the ports on the carb holders. Left to do is blocking off the port in the air box where the supply hose slides into. Unless it would be subject to emissions testing, most people are happy without the air valve.
I take it the air valve you are all refering to is what is called the "Air injection system " in the Clymer Kawasaki KZ650 1977-1983 book ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nate, you do know the bike well, that explains why every bike I see has the carb holders capped. I discoverd why the bike was running so bad when I fired it up. After installing all the original air equipment... turns out one of me coil wires was broke... crazy thing is it ran on number 2 and 3 cylinders, what a great bike huh... can't wait to fire it up again.

thanks for all your info.
hdd.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
You're quite welcome. Rob (rstnk) is also quite sharp and he's active here. You may also want to check out KZ650.info

Get ready for a ride when it's hitting on all four!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed the broken wire on the coil that feeds number 1,4 cylinders and the "ol beast" fired right up ... I wish everything was that easy. It's ready to test ride, too wore out today (I had an algebra test this morning took all me energy). Friday calls for sun so that will be the day. cool man.

hdd.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Good job. Hope you're having fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The test ride was fun, good throttle response. The number 1 carb overflow is leaking pretty bad though. I noticed the float valve was stuck pretty bad when I was cleaning the carbs so I moved it from number 4 to 1 just in case problems arised. I am hoping I can just pull the bowl off and replace the valve. Picked up some replacement bulbs for the tach and speedometer at the local parts store. They were all burned out. It looks great with the backlight, even the low fuel light works. coool man.

hdd

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Yeah, but don't go depending on that low fuel light. Don't ask how I know. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts