Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 80 440 LTD (chain drive) with under 800 miles on it. Runs like a champ, looks new, and it's ultimately for my son after he completes the MSF rider course. The previous owner stated the he had the carbs cleaned up by a local mechanic (800 miles in 24 years - they could've been sticky), and it does light up and run without fuss. After it's warmed up and idling, though, it'll balk or hesitate slightly while opening up the throttle - as in starting off at a stop light, etc.
Would I want to replace the pilot jet or raise/lower the needle valve? Or just leave it alone? It runs fine at highway speeds, and I'm still sort of 'breaking it in'.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Wow, what a find.

Check your airfilter to make sure its clean and that your breather tubes /vent lines are not obstructed. If the choke is adjusted properly and is not on when warmed up and ready to go then I would say that your carbs still need to be cleaned. Oh, if that gas has been sitting for any length of time - dump it and that could definately be the cause as well.

Hope there are new tires on the bike and all the fluids have been changed even if its only been ridden for 800 miles!

What a gem to find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, yeah - the tires have been replaced, the tank is clean and full of fresh gas (plus a little bit of STP carb additive), and I replaced the 24 year old air cleaner foam with new. The motor is quiet, and I haven't noticed any leakage from the seals. Perhaps it's too early to make a definitive diagnosis, but as far as finding a 'bike in the barn', this one was preserved very well. Maybe I'll take it to the local Dealer and ask them to do my 1000 mile service...24 years after the fact...:)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

sweet 8) its a kawi - it won't die :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I can help let me know. I found a 1981 LTD 440 with 320 miles 1 owner that I am detailing. I found out that the original owner had the carbs rebuilt last year (after not being used for 23 years) but when I got it from him it was hard to start and hesitated. After running it a couple of miles I dumped the tank out and put in fresh fuel. Now it does not hesitate and starts easily.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Totally agree with the tank and the gas......also I would have the carbs checked to make sure that they are all synced....my bike was running great at about 80% , but after my mechanic adjusted the fuel mix it is running 100%

Heather

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your input. I'll let a real mechanic look at the carbs before I do anything (stupid). Then, I'll have to wrestle my son who has adopted the Kawi as his 'very own'. He's bigger, but I have to go through the symbolic process of defending my harem. I think it's genetic. I also think I'll be riding the old 400 single again.
Xotie

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem and did all the carb tricks...Look at your points and see if they need lub..Mine were rusted and once I sprayed them the throttle response was immediate...

Good luck
Skip

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If you have not yet, change the sparkplug caps as they age along with the sparkplug ignition cables from the coils. I'd check the primary coil wiring(smaller wires) for tightness as the slide on connectors can vibrate loose over time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts