Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the background:

I got this bike used and it hadn't been ran in a year or two. Last summer I was riding and didn't pay attention to my fuel and the fuel light came on. I didn't get more than a couple more blocks and it died. I switched on the reserve and got to a gas station. I filled up the tank and went in to pay, when I came back out and started it ran really rough. I then smelled gas and noticed that the gas was pouring out of the bottom of my bike. I tried tapping on the bowls thinking a float was stuck but that didn't do anything.

So far:

I thought that maybe when I switched to reserve that it may have let a bunch debris into the carbs and maybe stuck the floats open so I took the carbs off (a real pain) and cleaned out the bottoms (I'm a newbie at working on bikes). They were pretty junky. I got them cleaned up pretty good, cleaned the jets as well.

That didn't fix the problem but the bike ran better. I thought the next logical thing to check was the petcock. I replaced the valve and everything that wasn't metal thought maybe it wasn't getting any vacuum. No luck, still dumps gas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Greg

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
The factory manual's part number is 99924-1021-06. You need one. Replace float needles and reset float height. Resist the urge to run pod air filters. Replace fuel petcock with one from an early KZ650. (Gets rid of the troublesome vacuum petcock.) kopcycle had an excellent post with what to do to these bikes.

KZ650.info is the best website for the KZ650/750 as they are closely related.

I use mine to take the GF to the beach.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
SpeedyG? Is that in reference to the bike or you? The petcock's bolt-hole spacing might be different depending upon whether the bike is a Twin or a 750-4.
If it's got vacuum at the petcock (as stated in original post), then it has to be a 750 four, the 80 750 twin has a manual petcock. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts