Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been smashing my head on this one for 3 hours today and im giving up till saturday. My bike was intermittently missing for a few seconds every now and then since i brought it out in feb. This monday the missfire decided it was going to stay.

I threw plugs and wires at it got nothing. I tested the coils and determined that the 1-4 coil was not sparking so i switched the ground leads to see if 2-3 would misfire and was suprised that it did while 1-4 was now sparking fine.

I have forgotten to mention that last year I installed a dynatek 2-2 and have had no issues with anything electrical until now.

I then began to check resistances in wires everything looks fine as far back as the wiring going to the dynatek.

This is where it gets interesting
the original wiring goes
green to black, black to white. (idk why they didnt just go black/black)
out of boredom or just frusturation i started playing around.
connected green to white and black to black.
no suprise everything was the same and the engine stalled but then i switched the wires back and noticed that i was getting a small arc on the 1-4 coil again. so i connected the spark plug wires back to the plugs in the engine and viola its purring like a kitten.

Tape everything up and put it all back together to take it out for a test ride. Fire it up to find the missfire has returned.

I have no idea why but if i take the green wire and connect it to the wire going to the other pickup coil then connect it back to the original without cutting power it runs perfect. The second i turn off power it goes back to misfiring.

I am at the point that im ready to run my ram over it.

SOMBODY HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1980 kz750 ltd with same problem. 1&4 works good for test run shut off and start again no 1&4 spark. I'm lost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive been smashing my head on this one for 3 hours today and im giving up till saturday. My bike was intermittently missing for a few seconds every now and then since i brought it out in feb. This monday the missfire decided it was going to stay.

I threw plugs and wires at it got nothing. I tested the coils and determined that the 1-4 coil was not sparking so i switched the ground leads to see if 2-3 would misfire and was suprised that it did while 1-4 was now sparking fine.

I have forgotten to mention that last year I installed a dynatek 2-2 and have had no issues with anything electrical until now.

I then began to check resistances in wires everything looks fine as far back as the wiring going to the dynatek.

This is where it gets interesting
the original wiring goes
green to black, black to white. (idk why they didnt just go black/black)
out of boredom or just frusturation i started playing around.
connected green to white and black to black.
no suprise everything was the same and the engine stalled but then i switched the wires back and noticed that i was getting a small arc on the 1-4 coil again. so i connected the spark plug wires back to the plugs in the engine and viola its purring like a kitten.

Tape everything up and put it all back together to take it out for a test ride. Fire it up to find the missfire has returned.

I have no idea why but if i take the green wire and connect it to the wire going to the other pickup coil then connect it back to the original without cutting power it runs perfect. The second i turn off power it goes back to misfiring.

I am at the point that im ready to run my ram over it.

SOMBODY HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
Sounds like you have a wire somewhere that's almost broken prolly at a connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts