Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello everyone! Long time no post for me! I have had a lot on the ol' plate recently, including BREAKING MY FRIGGEN ANKLE! But alas, only a week left on the crutches and in the cast, so I'm ready to get working on my ol' KZ again! Before my unfortunate accident I called around to a few shops trying to find some piston rings for my KZ440, only to find that they are discontinued :| That just won't do. I've tried looking on some of the websites listed for KZs in the vintage bike forums, but I can't seem to find anything! (perhaps I'm just mentally deficient?) I figured I'd post here and see what you folks could come up with before deciding to part out the bike or selling it as a parts bike and buying a KZ750 (anybody selling?)! Also, would I have the same problem with a KZ750? Why is it that I'm attracted to 30 year old bikes and not the new ones with all the spare parts lying around? Anyway, any and all help is appreciated! Hopefully I'll be back on the site more frequently regardless of what happens!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:O Holy Schnikeys... $60 a pop for those bad boys? Even if those come in pairs, that's still $180 for both cylinders! I had no idea they were that pricey! I'll have to re-think what I want to do now! Thanks for the response Chance!

Oh yeah, Anyone know if it's possible to drop a kz650 engine into a kz440 frame? If it is possible, is it a stupid and totally unsafe idea?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I glued half of another engine on there! Hahahaha :p Nooo... Three rings per cylinder, but if they come in pairs then that means I would only have to buy 3 pairs of each type. So my bogus math was correct! Haha... I find it bizarre that they would sell the rings individually though. Perhaps I'll email them and see if perhaps they do come in a set. I can afford $60 per cylinder, I can't afford $180 per cylinder though...

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Yeah, I glued half of another engine on there! Hahahaha :p Nooo... Three rings per cylinder, but if they come in pairs then that means I would only have to buy 3 pairs of each type. So my bogus math was correct! Haha... I find it bizarre that they would sell the rings individually though. Perhaps I'll email them and see if perhaps they do come in a set. I can afford $60 per cylinder, I can't afford $180 per cylinder though...
I think that you are reading it wrong. My info shows $49.18 for one set, two sets required. Even though the supplier shows them on his site, still might not be available.
Quite expensive, so you may want to check that your pistons/cylinders are within service limits. At $100, you do not want to throw some rings in it only to have a smoker because cylinder bore is worn. Eyeballing is not good enough.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I think that you are reading it wrong. My info shows $49.18 for one set, two sets required. Even though the supplier shows them on his site, still might not be available.
Quite expensive, so you may want to check that your pistons/cylinders are within service limits. At $100, you do not want to throw some rings in it only to have a smoker because cylinder bore is worn. Eyeballing is not good enough.
+1, I didn't look at the price that close, but I think the price is per set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts