Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 1984 zn700A1 with the #3 plug hole completely wollered beyond a helicoil or timesurt being able to do any justice. But,Ive got a 80 kz750 head sitting on my bench with which I was wondering if its possible to do a head swap putting the 750 head on my 700. Will it work WITHOUT having to do some major mods? Any help is awesome...馃憤馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It's been tried several times by the previous owner,and I don't think they had to much of an idea as to what they were doing. Becoz now the problem is a smidge smaller than a fifty cent piece. I can afford to buy another head,I just happened to have the 750 head sitting here.

Registered
Well, I have no idea if the heads are interchangeable but why not remove the head and see if a good aluminum welder can weld up the damaged hole? The other option, if there is enough metal left, is to drill or bore it to whatever size will give you a clean hole. But pick a size that will allow you to thread that hole. Next have a threaded, aluminum plug made that fits whatever size hole you made in the head. Screw the plug into the head with some good quality, high temperature thread locker and then you can drill and tap the plug for a standard helicoil. If you don't trust the threadlocker, the plug can be welded so it cannot back out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Ok,well I've got another question & I'm pretty certain I know the answer but....
Do I needto replace the cylinder head nuts/bolts with new ones when doing so?

Registered
Probably not, but check your service manual or ask your dealer. If Kawi used torque-to-yield bolts on your bike, then the answer would be yes, but I don't think Kawi does this on any of their bikes. Does anyone here know? Please enlighten us.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Well,I've unfortunataly had to go another way. I'm having to go with the complete 750 motor itself. After buying another 700 head,I pulled the old one off & "WOW" what a mess! The rings had seized & the cylinder walls had big gouges in them. Something I literally never considered...馃槬
So,with help from a friend I'm getting the top end (jugs up) completely redone & try to slide it into my 700 frame.

Registered
You'll probably figure it out soon enough, but I think I read somewhere that the shaft drive engines have different mounts or the frame mounts are different.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I think the mounts are close,its the mounting plates that are different. They(750) are bigger & wider in comparison to the 700's. Good thing is I've got both sets & hopefully,"hopefully" it'll all work out. If not,then I guess its back to the 'ol think tank. I'll keep everyone up to date of what's going down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts