Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1980 KZ750 and have two problems I need help with.

1) The lights in the speedo and tach do not work. The bulbs are fine but I'm not getting any power to them. I removed the headlight and checked all the wires and connections and everything looks fine. Where can I get a wireing diagram?

2) When the bike was built the speed limit was 55 MPH and the bike is geared to cruse at that speed. At 70 MPH the motor is turning 5000. would going to one tooth smaller rear sprocked get the engine rpm down a significent amount and if so where can I get one. Would changing the front sprocket be a better idea. Or should I just relax and not be in such a hurry?

Thanks, Leon

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
elbm said:
I just bought a 1980 KZ750 and have two problems I need help with.

1) The lights in the speedo and tach do not work. The bulbs are fine but I'm not getting any power to them. I removed the headlight and checked all the wires and connections and everything looks fine. Where can I get a wireing diagram?

2) When the bike was built the speed limit was 55 MPH and the bike is geared to cruse at that speed. At 70 MPH the motor is turning 5000. would going to one tooth smaller rear sprocked get the engine rpm down a significent amount and if so where can I get one. Would changing the front sprocket be a better idea. Or should I just relax and not be in such a hurry?

Thanks, Leon
1. there are lots of aftermarket manuals out there. just visit a bike shop and they may have it.or go here

http://store.yahoo.com/motobooks/motorcycle-manuals.html

2. go up in the front it will be easier and cheaper. youll prob. loose on average 400rpm with every one tooth change in the front. your gonna wear your chain faster by NOT changing the whole setup (both sprockets/chain)

and i would agree, just relax and enjoy the ride. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
kz750 spocket

I have the 1980 kz750E and was having the same problem. To remedy this I chose to go one tooth larger in the front. It gave about 500rpm. I feel pretty comfortable cruising at 60 to 65 and hitting 70 for passing. That may improve again soon as I am rebuilding the engine. But back to the point... When you get into the sprocket you will see a metal guard around the front of it. It appears to me that one tooth is as big a change as it will take in the front However changing one in the front is like changing three in ght rear. If your's has the guard go one larger in front first. It's much cheaper. Then move to the rear if the change is not enough for you. A side question for you. Is your's still the origional color? What is it? I am planning to restore mine to as close to origional condition as possible and it has been painted black. [email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never even noticed the engine speed on my 1980 KZ750E. Oh, it (tachometer) doesn't work. I've only had it on the expressway once and didn't feel anything wrong with the feel/sound of the motor. I would have liked to know how fast I was going though. That 85MPH top indicated speed, was easily passed.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, just started noticing dates. Got excited over a "FOR SALE' post until I noticed it was very very old. HA! Pulled this one in my KZ750E search. Now I'll just have to remember that "subscriptions" actually means "my posts." Somewhat confusing but maybe I'll remember this time. Live and learn, my friend....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts